Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

Any moms that go to college?

Posted by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 12:57 PM
  • 22 Replies

I'm on my third year of my BA. The end of summer break is always hard, but this year I'm totally anxious to go back to class. I can't wait to be done with school and get a job and be back in the real world again. Too bad I didn't do it right the first time 20 years ago, but I was too busy being a rebel. 
Anyways, I was just wondering if there are any other college moms around and how you're doing and coping with being a mom and going to school.  

by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 12:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Chillisarah
by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 3:20 PM

I'm in college! The university I go to offers online and on-campus courses ( and some hybrid courses).  I do most of my classes online but I will be taking a couple on-ground courses next semester.  

I'm in my third year of my BA also. It's challenging to do this with three kids (5 yr old, 3yr old, and 10mths old) but my dh helps a lot.  Had I went to college straight out of h.s. I would have a nursing degree and not because I truly wanted one but because everyone told me that's what I should do.  I almost did.  Instead, I took an entry level position at a corporate office and worked my way up over the years.  I eventually found my career passion and then decided to major in Human Resource Development in college.  I sometimes say not going to college right after high school was my best mistake because it led me to the career choice I love.

Best wishes in school! What is your major?

ReadWriteLuv
by Casey on Aug. 21, 2013 at 3:25 PM

We're moving halfway across country, (again), and I didn't have any promising full time job prospects so I just started my track to finish my BS in Radiation Science. It's a post-professional degree program offered by the University of Oklahoma for people with an AS and 5 years work experience. I've got 5 classes at the moment, it's harder to juggle than I remember it being. 

I have over 150 hours of existing credit, which is more than the equivilant of a Bachelors of General Studies, but I want my specific degree on my resume with an emphasis in management. 

.Peaches.
by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 3:39 PM
1 mom liked this

I am in school and a SAHM. I go to class during the day when my oldest two are in school, and I have my mom babysit my youngest (she's 3). I get out about an hour to a half an hour before school lets out (depends on the day and my courseload).

I study after they go to bed at night. I usually am studying until at least 1 AM...most nights, I don't go to sleep until around 3 AM. I tape my lectures on my iPod so that I can listen to it while I'm sleep. The only day/night I don't study is Saturday. I go to sleep, wake up at 5:30 to get them ready, and start all over again (just Mon-Fri).

I am taking a break this semester, but will resume next semester. I'm a double major- Nursing and Spanish.

Holly-Kathleen
by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 3:45 PM
I am in graduate school and substitute teaching right now :)
SJerseyMom23
by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 4:06 PM

I had my first while getting my associates, 2 by my bachelors and had 3 before my masters was done :)  I didnt do it "right" either but I wouldnt change it for the world!!! I am still struggling to find the perfect job--but I did just get a teaching job (long term sub) for this whole school year!! :)  Woo hoo!!! My Masters was all online and gave me much more freedom to be a busy working mom and student!

saraewhite
by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 4:11 PM

I did my schooling online for 5 years. I graduated with my Bachelors last October. Couldn't get a job in my field so I am a waitess at the moment until my daughter starts Kindergarten next year and then i will see what I can do. It was tough taking care of the house, the kids, my husband doing school and trying to take care of myself but I pushed through and did it!!! I tried to have specific times that I would do my schoolwork and times where I would play with my kids. I made out daily schedules and followed them as close as I possibly could.

I also had someone to take my kids the days I had a test or a big paper due, if I didn't have one I waited until nap time or after the kids went to bed.

It can be tough but so worth it!!!

Congratulations on furthering your education and getting that career!!!

TimetoMomUp
by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 4:22 PM

I am in my third year as well.  I go to a local University but the specific program I am in is for adults 23+ only. I enjoy class but I am looking forward to it ending.  

12yrmama
by Bronze Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 8:25 PM

Off and on. I pick up classes when we have some extra money or when it is something special for work. But I have been a SAHM for two yrs (this time, thats off and on too lol) and I'm so disappointed that I haven't done any classes. I'm trying to get ready to go back next fall... I convinced my dh to go this fall :) its his turn!

I can only do homework/classes when its separate from homelife, but my dh has been doing online class in our den, I don't know how he can focus! He's showing me up.

countrymomma81
by Platinum Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 8:10 AM

I plan on going in a few years once I figure out what I want to do. 

I feel the same way you do about doing it "right". 3 weeks after having my second child I went to Remington College. It's definitely nothing like a real college or a university. Not even a technical college. It's basically a trade school but we didn't have to take any courses other than the ones that dealt with our "major". So I never took any college Englishes or anything. 

valrubio
by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 11:46 AM

I am currently in school. I am pregnant with my 8th and it is definitely harder than if I had been done the smart thing and got my college education in my early 20s. I think I try harder and take it more seriously now though than I would have earlier on.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN