Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

Question on child support-updated

Posted by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 6:29 PM
  • 10 Replies
First, I will state my situation. I do work and go to school. This month has been horrible for finances. Two of our kids have birthdays in August, school registration coated $75, then there's the cost of school supplies and clothes. I receive financial aid which is just enough to cover tuition and books, and I get loans on top of that to help with bills and such since I work only 30 hours a week so I can go to school. With that, I pay my car payment in advance 4 months. In August, I start paying my car payment again out of my paychecks until October when my loans come back. In addition to those other costs of this month, I have the car payment. My car payment absorbs one whole paycheck because I get paid weekly.

My ex has been paying child support for 3 1/2 years. It is a court ordered garnishment because he's $7k in the hole on it. Every now and then, my child support ends up freakishly late. I receive $200 every two weeks. Child support is now two weeks late. The times this HSS happened in the past, I would end up receiving two payments just days apart. Each time, the cs department says that they haven't received the payment yet. They even call his employer to verify employment. Each time, I end up receiving it just days later.

Does this happen to anyone else? Like, the employer not sending in the money on time? Of course, I just called his employer just to ease my mind. I'm waiting for a call back..

Update: I just checked online and since tomorrow another cs payment is due, I see two payments coming to me tomorrow. What a relief! Now I can get the school supplies! I really don't appreciate how sometimes the state or the employer holds the money.. come on people, I like to be able to stick to my budget plan!
by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 6:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
HeathersRich
by Silver Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 6:39 PM
A few months ago my child support ran late and I ended up getting 2 checks days apart at the end of the month. They said it was because he switched jobs he said he hadn't and they had taken out the money and was agrivated that neither of us had it. It eventually showed up. The government isnt the most orginized. They are on there own schedule. I to have thru them because he stopped paying for 2 years.
busymommy2013
by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 6:54 PM
My ex hasn't been so honest in the past, so I have a hard time trusting when he says that yes he works at the same place and yes the cs was deducted. Whenever I decide to call the state and ask them about it, they say that they can see only as much as I can see if I go online. It doesn't tell me anything. My ex did promise to tell me if he lost his job, that way I at least know that the child support would stop for a while. He knows I would never keep our son from him if he lost his job and couldn't pay. I've never kept our son from him in the past when he wasn't paying either. That wouldn't be fair for my ds. He loves his dad. Its just so frustrating when I plan my monthly budget out and end up having to let bills stack up that would otherwise be paid on time.

Quoting HeathersRich:

A few months ago my child support ran late and I ended up getting 2 checks days apart at the end of the month. They said it was because he switched jobs he said he hadn't and they had taken out the money and was agrivated that neither of us had it. It eventually showed up. The government isnt the most orginized. They are on there own schedule. I to have thru them because he stopped paying for 2 years.

HeathersRich
by Silver Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 7:42 PM
Mine lied for months about his job a few years back. Including he didn't bother to tell me and my son lost his insurance and he gave me the run around for a long time. So I definitely no the feeling. He's been having issued holding down a job these days. I try not to count on that money but right now we do really need it. I figured I lived without it for 2 years if I have to I'll live without it again.

Quoting busymommy2013:

My ex hasn't been so honest in the past, so I have a hard time trusting when he says that yes he works at the same place and yes the cs was deducted. Whenever I decide to call the state and ask them about it, they say that they can see only as much as I can see if I go online. It doesn't tell me anything. My ex did promise to tell me if he lost his job, that way I at least know that the child support would stop for a while. He knows I would never keep our son from him if he lost his job and couldn't pay. I've never kept our son from him in the past when he wasn't paying either. That wouldn't be fair for my ds. He loves his dad. Its just so frustrating when I plan my monthly budget out and end up having to let bills stack up that would otherwise be paid on time.

Quoting HeathersRich:

momofthem311
by Bronze Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 7:56 PM

I have thankfully never had an issue with my ex and child support, even when he was pissed at me for moving out of state for a while. My issue came when the attorney general had to take over because of medicaid. They SUCK! For me anyway, I know they help a lot of women but for me they just made things worse. I get less child support now and they caused problems for my ex at his job by trying to say he was behind a ridiculous amount because it wasnt officially documented ( we had our own arrangement for a long time ).

busymommy2013
by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 8:00 PM
Its just weird. This has happened a few times before and he was still employed. It just seems that someone somewhere isn't doing their job in a timely manner.
quickbooksworm
by Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 8:08 PM

I don't know from personal experience because my ex is 2 years behind.  But I do garnish wages for employers all the time.  There are a lot of times the department of revenue will claim they never got payment from the employer when the payments were sent.  It isn't optional for us NOT to pay a garnishment, we will get fined.  And the payments are electronic.  9 times out of 10 there is a computer error on their end or something that has nothing to do with the father, nothing to do with the employer, and everything to do with the state agency.  If you are on good terms with  your ex, I would tell him you never received it, verify with his employer that it was taken out, then call whoever is in charge of CSE for your state and bug the hell out of them until you get your money. 

quickbooksworm
by Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 8:10 PM

My ex didn't tell me he lost his job and my son's insurance until I confronted him after going to the pharmacy to pick up my son's asthma meds and having the cashier tell me the insurance was no longer valid and my total was $465.

Quoting HeathersRich:

Mine lied for months about his job a few years back. Including he didn't bother to tell me and my son lost his insurance and he gave me the run around for a long time. So I definitely no the feeling. He's been having issued holding down a job these days. I try not to count on that money but right now we do really need it. I figured I lived without it for 2 years if I have to I'll live without it again.

Quoting busymommy2013:

Quoting HeathersRich:

aj23
by Silver Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 8:17 PM

The last company my son's dad worked for would send in a month's worth one time, a week's worth the next week and then I wouldn't see a payment for two months then I would get a random payment. It was never consistent even though they took  it out of his check each week. The one he works for now has never even taken out a payment in the year he's worked there. They refuse to saying they need some form that the women at the child support office have never heard of. 

I know what it's like to really need the money and it helps so much to actually get it but at this point I always just assume it's not coming.

busymommy2013
by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 12:15 AM
Yeah, I uses to assume that it wasn't coming and if it did, yay! But its been coming for a few years now, with just a few glitches. When there's a gap where its so late, it really hurts the budget, especially this month.

Quoting aj23:

The last company my son's dad worked for would send in a month's worth one time, a week's worth the next week and then I wouldn't see a payment for two months then I would get a random payment. It was never consistent even though they took  it out of his check each week. The one he works for now has never even taken out a payment in the year he's worked there. They refuse to saying they need some form that the women at the child support office have never heard of. 

I know what it's like to really need the money and it helps so much to actually get it but at this point I always just assume it's not coming.

busymommy2013
by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 12:17 AM
Yeah, I know that they have to send it and have no choice. I asked my ex if he could check with his employer on that but haven't heard back. I'm going to wait until Friday and check again.

Quoting quickbooksworm:

I don't know from personal experience because my ex is 2 years behind.  But I do garnish wages for employers all the time.  There are a lot of times the department of revenue will claim they never got payment from the employer when the payments were sent.  It isn't optional for us NOT to pay a garnishment, we will get fined.  And the payments are electronic.  9 times out of 10 there is a computer error on their end or something that has nothing to do with the father, nothing to do with the employer, and everything to do with the state agency.  If you are on good terms with  your ex, I would tell him you never received it, verify with his employer that it was taken out, then call whoever is in charge of CSE for your state and bug the hell out of them until you get your money. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)