Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Did you grow up with cable?

Posted by on Aug. 24, 2013 at 11:22 AM
  • 94 Replies
When do you know/remember your family first getting cable? Basic? Extended? Have your kids always had cable?
by on Aug. 24, 2013 at 11:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Babujai
by Bronze Member on Aug. 24, 2013 at 11:25 AM
My parents didn't have cable until I was 16, and that was basic. I didn't have extended cable until I was grown and married. We had basic we first got married (I was 24) but we upgraded to digital cable probably 2 or 3 years later. My kids have never not had cable.
MommyAddie
by Member on Aug. 24, 2013 at 11:29 AM
I grew up with cable, extended. But when I married my first husband, he wouldn't let us get cable so I lived without it for years.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mcknitro
by Member on Aug. 24, 2013 at 11:31 AM
We didn't have cable growing up. We got dish when I was in high school because my dad won the dish and free install. Otherwise we lived in the country and cable wasn't even offered where I grew up.
AjCeCeMom
by Member on Aug. 24, 2013 at 11:32 AM
It was called "Sky TV" when I was growing up, yes we had it. I remember it costing a fortune though, more than we pay now and that was 25 years ago.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
slgilliam
by on Aug. 24, 2013 at 12:37 PM

Yes - I grew up with cable. I have cable now as well. We have tons of channels including the movie channels. I love spending a relaxing weekend at home watching movies and catching up on my shows from the week.

OliviaW.
by Bronze Member on Aug. 24, 2013 at 12:38 PM
3 moms liked this
Nope, we had 4 channels and if the president was on your night was shot. We don't have cable now either.
snowangel1979
by Bronze Member on Aug. 24, 2013 at 1:05 PM
Not untill I was a teenager. We got cable when I was 16. I lived out in the country and it just wasn't available untill then.

We have a dish out here. We've had it for 4 years now. There's no normal cable (or internet) out here.
I would love to just cancel it but my children love their "toons.
Plus without it even though we have a big thingy on our roof, you get 4 whole channels but never at the same time and you can never make it threw a whole 30minute show before it decides to switch which channel comes in. LOL.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kidlover2
by Member on Aug. 24, 2013 at 1:13 PM
We got basic cable when I was 14. I have had it for 6 months as an adult when I first moved in to my SO's house. I convinced him that cable was unnecessary and we haven't had it since.
Pukalani79
by Kris on Aug. 24, 2013 at 1:23 PM

We didn't get cable until my mom remarried at the end of my Jr year in High School.  When my husband and I got married, we had cable for about 2 years, then when it was time to cut costs, it had to go.  This past Spring we had cable hooked up for the first time in almost 10 years.

Sunshine2plus2
by Sunshine on Aug. 24, 2013 at 1:25 PM
Yes basic cable. We currently don't have cable we use netflix and hulu
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)