Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

Please make the whining stop...help!

Posted by on Aug. 26, 2013 at 8:32 PM
  • 11 Replies

I love my daughter, but I thought the whining would stop after a period of time. She is 9 1/2 now, and everything comes out in a whine. It is driving everyone around her crazy, even her friends. I try to point it out when she does it, and she says she is not whining. My mom has even commented that this should have stopped by now. I don't give into the whining. I tell her that I will not talk to her if she does not stop whining. Is there anyone that can please help me with this? Is anyone going through the same thing? What suggestions can you give to help. I don't want her to have problems in school. Is this a faze? HELP!

by on Aug. 26, 2013 at 8:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mjimaging
by Melissa on Aug. 26, 2013 at 8:46 PM
I don't know. I have a whiney four year old but DD (13) didn't really whine. She has an attitude though. Good luck.
rachelp2380
by on Aug. 26, 2013 at 8:49 PM

Thanks! Man I hope she grows out of this soon!

e-doolittle
by Kelly on Aug. 26, 2013 at 11:31 PM
Good luck! I have a DS.
greywitchoregon
by on Aug. 27, 2013 at 1:06 AM
1 mom liked this

Mommy will be happy to do whatever it is you want when you can talk to me like a nine year old. Without the whine. You want to whine? you can do that in your room. 

.Peaches.
by on Aug. 27, 2013 at 6:34 AM

Send her to her room until she stops and is ready to talk like she's got some sense.

QTMom2302
by Ami on Aug. 27, 2013 at 6:45 AM

I can't give you any good input... my 11 y/o DD still whines at times. Makes me crazy. I always tell her I won't talk to her when she's acting like that & to talk to me when she's done w/ the whining. 

CotterpinDoozer
by Silver Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 2:06 PM

My friend has a 10 year old who is constantly whining and then says they don't whine. So my friend started recording her and shows it to her when she says she doesn't whine. Tell her that you can't understand whining and that until she can speak without whining. I'm sorry, that sounds really frustrating.

coffee77
by on Aug. 27, 2013 at 3:18 PM

Whining is a form of manipulation which she does because she knows it gets you.  Pick up the book 1,2,3, Magic by Phelan -it really does work! GL

allmy3girls
by on Aug. 27, 2013 at 9:54 PM

she's a bit big to be whinning..........just ask her why she is doing it, tell her she is a bigger girl and and she shouldnt be acting like that....I think its for attention....good luck   sorry  dont know what else to say

clairewait
by Bronze Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 10:00 PM

This is an attitude, not a bad habit. I'd nip it as harshly as possible. Nine is too old to spank, but not too old to take away privileges. I agree with sending her to her room the minute it comes out.

Not sure if this will work, but I revoke my children's talking privileges all the time.

Trust me. She can stop whining. She just doesn't care enough yet.

I'd revoke talking privileges until it stops.

It should be nice and peaceful around your house for a while.

Claire Wait

My blog: TheUnderToad.com

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)