Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

things your Mom might not have taught you...

Posted by on Aug. 27, 2013 at 7:58 AM
  • 31 Replies
I grew up in a decent sized city.......but now live rural. My hubby and I are "modern homesteaders" with the garden, greenhouse, chickens, etc. I never learned canning etc. growing up, but am really enjoying it now :) I never learned to sew (other than buttons and hand stitching small holes) ...and am considering learning how on a machine...when my kids are a little older. What about you....what kinds of things are you doing now that your mother didn't teach you?
by on Aug. 27, 2013 at 7:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Briesmom38
by Gold Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 8:03 AM
1 mom liked this

I love to cook, I picked up most of it on my own.  My mom hated cooking and it definitely showed in the meals she made,lol  Not the best cook around, but at least she fed us,lol  Although I will say she did make an awesome pot of gravy.

** It's 5 O'clock Somewhere **

KylesMom409
by Linnette on Aug. 27, 2013 at 8:03 AM
1 mom liked this
To be honest with you, I can't think of anything. LOL But she did teach me to be a strong woman and individual because she got me, my brother, and herself away from my abusive drunk of a father. I will be forever thankful to her for that.
e-doolittle
by Kelly on Aug. 27, 2013 at 8:06 AM

Knitting and crocheting

e-doolittle
by Kelly on Aug. 27, 2013 at 8:06 AM

I cook so much more than she did

kjbugsmom1517
by Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 8:09 AM
The cooking i do i learned on my own, i taught myself crochet, and i can do some basic sewing. I cant remember my mom teaching me much.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sister_Someone
by Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 8:09 AM
1 mom liked this

Whatever I did in my life, I sure as hell did not learn any of it from my mother. 

mjimaging
by Melissa on Aug. 27, 2013 at 9:51 AM
My mom didn't teach me anything. I learned to shave on my own.

I sew, knit, crochet, cook, do photography, there is probably more that I can't remember. I do a lot of different things. I want to learn about canning. I bake too. She really didn't teach me anything.
12yrmama
by Bronze Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 10:36 AM

lol

Cooking from scratch, sewing, quilting, gardening(though they do have one now)and pruning bushes trees, cloth diapering, really anything DIY, camping, shooting, building a fire. Some are random, but I enjoy being willing to learn anything that makes me independent.

c_edmonds
by on Aug. 27, 2013 at 3:42 PM

My dad was used drugs, alcohol, and was abusive...but she married him twice. I in turned pretty much did the same thing. Cooking is NOT what I do but I enjoy it when my aunt comes home. She teaches me more because she is more patient with me. I never learned how to fully cook but i can cook the essentials...if thats what you want to call them. But luckily for me...none my kids like eating stuff that take forever.

I learned to do minor sewing in hs for fashion class. Umm majority of stuff I learned in school...gardening, parenting, sex, and being a girl (more so being feminine)

I learned how to put on a bra from my bff..lol my aunts and sister did my hair. my aunt taught me that as long as I carried a toothbrush, tooth paste, deo, a clean pant of panties in cases of emergency nothing else matters. :/ i never understood that (til I got older)

Thats it..I think

Bonneata
by Bronze Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 4:04 PM
1 mom liked this

I can't think of anything if mom didn't teach it to me my step mom did and vice versa. I have to admit I am extremely grateful my step mom was career woman and taught how to do both. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)