Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

Have you guys ever had your child get out of their car seat while driving?

Posted by on Aug. 31, 2013 at 12:31 PM
  • 23 Replies

Oh my gosh I just about hade a heart attack. My neice who is 3 got out of her carseat while we were driving to the grocery store. I will probably get bashed, but I pulled over and tore her little butt up. 

by on Aug. 31, 2013 at 12:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
offrdngal
by Gold Member on Aug. 31, 2013 at 12:35 PM

Oh yeah!  Derek figured out how to undo the harness.  I was driving along and I looked up in my rear-view mirror and there he was standing there, laughing...all proud of himself!!  It scared the shit out of me!!  I didn't bust his butt until he did it again, on a another trip.  I ended up buying a different seat...although he figured that one out too.  He stopped trying to get out, pretty quick.  I don't think he wanted me to tear up his behind.

BatMom.
by on Aug. 31, 2013 at 12:44 PM
That's scary. I haven't had that happen with my Son, thankfully. He knows better, and is a mini carseat/seatbelt advocate, lol.
lalasmama2007
by Ticia on Aug. 31, 2013 at 12:49 PM

Luckily, no.  My dd is very easygoing and has never given us a hard time about getting in her carseat or staying there.  

Mom2jngnc
by Bronze Member on Aug. 31, 2013 at 1:19 PM

My 14 yr old would do this. He would undo the chest clip (which 12 yrs ago wasn't a nice buckle) and pull his arms out. 

I don't play games, so I pulled over, paddled his bottom and told him that ONLY Mommy or Daddy touch the clip. 

I ended up going to Babies R Us a few days later and buying a replacement car seat clip that buckled. 

mjimaging
by Melissa on Aug. 31, 2013 at 1:49 PM
Thankfully I haven't had that problem. DD would freak out if she didn't get her seat belt buckled before we pulled out. That was after she out of a full five point. DS hasn't even tried to get out of his. He's 4.
Pukalani79
by Kris on Aug. 31, 2013 at 2:41 PM

We never had that problem, thankfully.  One time though, I was with a friend who was babysitting a little girl.  She didn't climb out of her seat, but she opened the door while we were driving down the road! So scary

JadeTigr7
by Bronze Member on Aug. 31, 2013 at 3:02 PM

Nope.

aandt1999
by Member on Aug. 31, 2013 at 3:09 PM
Yes it happened with our son. Scared the crap out of me. He said something and was right next to me! I yelled because it scared me and I told him why he can't do that. He didn't get smacked b/c he didn't know he did something wrong.
Xstitchinmom
by Member on Aug. 31, 2013 at 3:46 PM
Yes-when ds was two, he managed to wriggle out of his straps and stand up in his seat while I was driving! I saw him in the rear view mirror, his little fists clenched and screaming bloody murder. I stopped in a subdivision, smacked his diapered bottom and wrestled him back into his seat lol I still give him hell about it 13 years later
emarin77
by Bronze Member on Aug. 31, 2013 at 5:15 PM

Yes.  I had to stop the car and wait for my 5 year old to put it back on.  Yes, very frustrating.  He got a strike for the day meaning no sticker that goes toward going to McDonald's at the end of the week.  He learned his lesson hopefully.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)