Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Don't mind me.....I need to brag for a minute. **update with picture**

Posted by on Sep. 3, 2013 at 10:52 AM
  • 32 Replies

I am taking a short break - I am SO tired....I have been so busy cooking for a few days now for Rosh HaShannah (the Jewish New Year) which is Thurs & Fri this week.

So far I have made:

roasted chickens (4 whole birds)

meatballs (2 lbs of meat)

4 deli rolls

huge pot of chicken soup and a separate pot of matzo balls in broth

mashed potatoes (1.5 bages worth of potatoes...I think the bags are 7lbs each)

rice & peppers

and apple dumplings

I still need to make: turkey in the crock pot, beef roast in the crock pot, cabbage salad, chopped salad, apple crisp (I plan to do that tonight), apple-noodle kugel (I plan to make that tonight as well), chocolate cake with icing, and a "big cookie" (chocolate chip pan cookie).

Of course, I have no clue where I am going to out the things I haven't made yet as the fridge is almost completely full already!

**UPDATE**

The apple-noodle kugel is in the oven as I type.  I need to wait on the apple kugel to make sure I can get more apples tomorrow -- somehow I didn't buy enough for all the food plus needing them for meals (dipping apple slices in honey is tradition for the New Year).  I'll make one of the salads tonight instead.

Oh, and I forgot that DH asked me to make banana bread as well - so I need to add that to the list.

**2nd update**

I couldn't resist....as I was putting the kugel in the fridge, I just HAD to snap a picture.  I still have a bunch to do tomorrow -- and no clue where I will put anything else....but here it is:

Sorry it is sideways....CM hates me

by on Sep. 3, 2013 at 10:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jinxed8
by Gold Member on Sep. 3, 2013 at 10:55 AM

You've been a busy bee !!

I remember going on cooking crazes too !  Although I'm not jewish I just used to do that for fun !!  I used to can a lot and freeze then dinners would be a breeze for weeks ! 

KylesMom409
by Linnette on Sep. 3, 2013 at 11:44 AM
I would be bragging too! You go, girl! :)
TableforSeven
by Judy on Sep. 3, 2013 at 11:55 AM
3 moms liked this

The 'sad' thing is that it will all be gone by Saturday night.  With 6 festive meals - at least two of which we have company coming for.....all of this food won't last long.  Though good food, good friends and family -- that's what it should all be about anyway - right?

Quoting Jinxed8:

You've been a busy bee !!

I remember going on cooking crazes too !  Although I'm not jewish I just used to do that for fun !!  I used to can a lot and freeze then dinners would be a breeze for weeks ! 

CountryGrlAtHrt
by on Sep. 3, 2013 at 12:51 PM

Holy Moly I am hungry just reading all that too,I am Jewish as well,my children love my grandmother's Matzoh Ball Soup and I love the Potatoe Pancakes she makes,I would be exhausted just cooking all that,hope your almost done...

jbjohnson
by Member on Sep. 3, 2013 at 12:54 PM

So what time is dinner? I'm on my way! LOL

That sounds so yummy! I love to cook too but I'm in Scottsdale, AZ and the high will be 106 today. I haven't felt like cooking in months! Too dang hot to turn the oven on.

allmy3girls
by on Sep. 3, 2013 at 12:56 PM

thats alot of cooking but  its typical at my house every Sunday we have a family dinner ( SIL/BIL/nephews/nieces/cousins) my husband is Italian and has 9siblings  soooooooo my kitchen on Suday's are busy  but woderfully delicious.........we eat ..and eat...and  eat...........!, holidays we rent a banquet hall and bring the food in  

TableforSeven
by Judy on Sep. 3, 2013 at 1:12 PM
1 mom liked this

Dinners and lunches are all after services.....so late, mid afternoon, late, mid afternoon, late, mid afternoon.  Come on over!  But it's a long flight from even the east coast.  :-)

It is hot and all heck here too....100s here too.  And my dark kitchen is totally enclosed with no a/c -- though I do have a fan in there (which I had facing OUT the window most of today and yesterday).  All the stove-top stuff is done...so the steam ends now and only the oven will be on. 

Quoting jbjohnson:

So what time is dinner? I'm on my way! LOL

That sounds so yummy! I love to cook too but I'm in Scottsdale, AZ and the high will be 106 today. I haven't felt like cooking in months! Too dang hot to turn the oven on.

TableforSeven
by Judy on Sep. 3, 2013 at 1:19 PM

I make feasts every week for Shabbat.....Friday dinner and Saturday lunch.  So this is just three days worth at once.  My fridge is the one suffering right now though....it is bursting at the seams and I have a long way to go yet.

Quoting allmy3girls:

thats alot of cooking but  its typical at my house every Sunday we have a family dinner ( SIL/BIL/nephews/nieces/cousins) my husband is Italian and has 9siblings  soooooooo my kitchen on Suday's are busy  but woderfully delicious.........we eat ..and eat...and  eat...........!, holidays we rent a banquet hall and bring the food in  

allmy3girls
by on Sep. 3, 2013 at 1:23 PM
1 mom liked this

I feel for you...have  fun  enjoy   happy  holiday!

Quoting TableforSeven:

I make feasts every week for Shabbat.....Friday dinner and Saturday lunch.  So this is just three days worth at once.  My fridge is the one suffering right now though....it is bursting at the seams and I have a long way to go yet.

Quoting allmy3girls:

HeathersRich
by Silver Member on Sep. 3, 2013 at 1:26 PM
1 mom liked this

Oh my girl, your just a cooking fool. :) I bet your house smells wonderfully. Having a big crowd? Send me some Apple kugal and motza balls please :) 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)