Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

10 year Wedding Re-Vow Gift?

Posted by on Sep. 9, 2013 at 8:22 AM
  • 27 Replies

Friends of my SO are having a 10 year Wedding Re-Vow this weekend and since I have never been to one, I have absolutely no idea on how much we should give as a gift.

What do you ladies think?

** It's 5 O'clock Somewhere **

by on Sep. 9, 2013 at 8:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mumsy2three
by Shauna on Sep. 9, 2013 at 9:16 AM

I'm not sure~ I've only been to a couple of re vows and the couples requested no gifts.

lalasmama2007
by Ticia on Sep. 9, 2013 at 9:18 AM

I'm no help, I've never been to one.  Bump!

lalasmama2007
by Ticia on Sep. 9, 2013 at 9:24 AM

I was curious, so I looked it up online.  

Should You Bring a Gift?

Whether or not you bring a gift is entirely up to you. The couple already has a home so they are not trying to set up one up like a newly married couple. A small token to commemorate the occasion is thoughtful but not required.

If the Wedding Renewal Coincides with an Anniversary Milestone, Should You Bring a Gift to Commemorate the Milestone?

Many times couples host a wedding vow renewal ceremony that coincides with their wedding anniversary. If the couple has planned the two events together, do some research and present a gift fitting for that wedding anniversary. Traditional anniversary gifts include tin or aluminum for the 10th anniversary, silver for the 25th anniversary, pearl for the 30th anniversary, gold for the 50th anniversary, and diamond for the 60th anniversary. There are also flowers that coincide with wedding anniversaries, so it might be thoughtful to include a flower sentiment such as daffodils on the 10th anniversary, iris on the 25th, and yellow roses or violets on the 50th.

What are Appropriate Gifts?

Appropriate gifts for wedding vow renewal ceremonies include gift cards and contributions in the couple's name to charity. The couple is renewing their vows so the chance of them registering on a gift registry is minimal.

Wedding vow renewal ceremonies are different from the original wedding ceremony and usually a less formal affair. There are no set rules for gifting in this situation, so make your own determination about what is acceptable. If the wedding vow renewal ceremony coincides with an anniversary, revert to the traditional wedding gift list. Each anniversary year has a traditional gift source such as gold or silver that should be given and a traditional flower gift.

Briesmom38
by Silver Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 9:33 AM

Thanks, I'm still not sure,lol  

Quoting lalasmama2007:

Should You Bring a Gift?

Whether or not you bring a gift is entirely up to you. The couple already has a home so they are not trying to set up one up like a newly married couple. A small token to commemorate the occasion is thoughtful but not required.

If the Wedding Renewal Coincides with an Anniversary Milestone, Should You Bring a Gift to Commemorate the Milestone?

Many times couples host a wedding vow renewal ceremony that coincides with their wedding anniversary. If the couple has planned the two events together, do some research and present a gift fitting for that wedding anniversary. Traditional anniversary gifts include tin or aluminum for the 10th anniversary, silver for the 25th anniversary, pearl for the 30th anniversary, gold for the 50th anniversary, and diamond for the 60th anniversary. There are also flowers that coincide with wedding anniversaries, so it might be thoughtful to include a flower sentiment such as daffodils on the 10th anniversary, iris on the 25th, and yellow roses or violets on the 50th.

Appropriate gifts for wedding vow renewal ceremonies include gift cards and contributions in the couple's name to charity. The couple is renewing their vows so the chance of them registering on a gift registry is minimal.

Wedding vow renewal ceremonies are different from the original wedding ceremony and usually a less formal affair. There are no set rules for gifting in this situation, so make your own determination about what is acceptable. If the wedding vow renewal ceremony coincides with an anniversary, revert to the traditional wedding gift list. Each anniversary year has a traditional gift source such as gold or silver that should be given and a traditional flower gift.

she_walk_softly
by on Sep. 9, 2013 at 9:34 AM

I would get them a cast iron skillet.

lalasmama2007
by Ticia on Sep. 9, 2013 at 9:37 AM

Yeah. Several places said that it's not a true gift giving occasion, but I would still feel the need to give something.  Another place said that the gift should be something symbolizing the couple's love (something engraved?).  

Quoting Briesmom38:

Thanks, I'm still not sure,lol  

Quoting lalasmama2007:

Should You Bring a Gift?

Jinxed8
by Gold Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 9:41 AM

10 years is TIN (metal)  anniversary. A metal object would be very appropriate. It doesn't have to be super pricy  it can be something simple like a serving bowl or dish, a small vase, coasters, salt & pepper shakers .... you can also get ideas from the link below ;

http://www.ask.com/question/what-is-the-symbol-for-each-year-of-marriage

mjimaging
by Melissa on Sep. 9, 2013 at 9:52 AM
Good luck, I've never been to a renewal of vows although we are considering it at some point.
crwspringer
by Silver Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 9:58 AM
1 mom liked this
Buy a nice frame, then they can take a pix from the day and place it in there.
Or maybe a certificate from shutterfly where they can use it to make a photo book of the day.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Briesmom38
by Silver Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 10:18 AM

Thansk ladies, these are all great suggestions. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)