Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

Socializing outside of work with co-workers

Posted by on Sep. 10, 2013 at 11:12 AM
  • 25 Replies

Agree or dissagree ?

What about if you are a "superior" ?

I've been screwed in a similar situation before.  Where girls I worked with, we all became friends, frienship mixed with business, personal stuff got brought in to the work place and it got ugly.

I am now SO reluctant to befriend co-workers.  One of my co-workers is a very nice girl, she obviously looks up to me and wants to be friends.  My husband thinks I should give her a chance.  Should I just let the past be the past? 

by on Sep. 10, 2013 at 11:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jbjohnson
by on Sep. 10, 2013 at 11:39 AM

I think you can befriend co-workers. Some of my longest-lasting friendships started at the office.

I would suggest that as long as you work together you don't get "too" unprofessional in front of coworkers. Like getting falling-down drunk and making out with her boyfriend would probably be a bad idea. But having a glass of wine and some good-natured gossip is great! Having friends at work makes people happier and reduces turnover.

esox
by Bronze Member on Sep. 10, 2013 at 11:45 AM

If I weren't friends with my co-workers I would have no friends at all. But, we work in a very small company where everyone is more like family than co-workers. Yeah, there are a few red headed step children tossed into the mix, but they are easy enough to ignore. We even get to go on company wide 'family' vacations every year! Each worker is allowed to bring their spouse or a guest. So far we've be on a Caribbean cruise, to Reno, Las Vegas, Hawaii, Jamaica, and Cancun. Big Boss pays for it all. 

.Peaches.
by on Sep. 10, 2013 at 12:09 PM

You can be friends with her and not share so much of your personal life.

I don't do friends in the workplace, but I'm very too myself, so I don't have many friends to begin with. I just don't have a very trusting nature, I'm (overly) cautious of people and their intentions.

momlovestorun
by on Sep. 10, 2013 at 12:28 PM

I do not very often.

Briesmom38
by Gold Member on Sep. 10, 2013 at 12:42 PM

I've had it go both ugly and great with making friends with co-workers.  I've had to let go of something that happened in the past that was really messy, so I completely understand your hesitation.  But I can say since that ugliness, I have moved on to different places and I've made some really great friends.  And yes with one of them I was her superior, but that didn't matter, we became and still are great friends.  You just need to take it on a person to person basis and take it easy, see what happens, you never know.

** It's 5 O'clock Somewhere **

catevincesmom
by on Sep. 10, 2013 at 1:14 PM

It okay to be friends w/ coworkers as long  as you are careful, so to speak.  I agree w/ jbjohnson who said don't get too unprofessional.  Know where the line bt friend & coworker is, & you'll be fine.  @ one job, I went sledding w/ some workers, the boss had some of us over to show off her new goats. .  it is doable.  :-)

Pukalani79
by Kris on Sep. 10, 2013 at 1:19 PM

I've always been friends with co-workers.  I think that as a supervisor, you're in a hard spot.  Still, we used to go out with everyone (supervisors included) . There's just a line and it has to be set early

12yrmama
by Bronze Member on Sep. 10, 2013 at 1:56 PM

My job is very high stress level; that makes even causal friendships coated in stress and trust issues. But other places where it was more relaxed I did met alot of friends.

mhaney03
by Bronze Member on Sep. 10, 2013 at 2:44 PM

I do not befriend coworkers outside of work, period.  Like you, lesson learned.

lalasmama2007
by Ticia on Sep. 10, 2013 at 3:11 PM

When I worked, I was always always friendly with my coworkers and we would do things outside of work often.  I'm still good friends with several of my prior coworkers that I met when I was a teen.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN