Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

How do you define "poor"?

Posted by on Sep. 15, 2013 at 3:57 PM
  • 30 Replies
I had an interesting conversation on Twitter yesterday about what it means to be poor. He considers anyone with little to no good credit and no assets as poor. I think his definition is too broad. I've been both hungry and homeless so that's poor to me. His definition strikes me as "insecure" rather than poor.

How do you define "poor"?
by on Sep. 15, 2013 at 3:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
diaperstodating
by Angel on Sep. 15, 2013 at 4:06 PM
2 moms liked this

No money, no income, no food, no home.

hidalgo
by on Sep. 15, 2013 at 4:11 PM
Me..lol,ok i guess i am not poor,but i am broke.homeless w/out meens to support yourself,or without a source of income,i think is poor
12yrmama
by Bronze Member on Sep. 15, 2013 at 4:14 PM

I agree more with you. I've been both hungry and homeless too.... thankfully it was long ago. But I didn't even consider myself poor then. I was in a bad spot, but I was lucky (yes, it was just luck) had an  opportunity for a job; soon I had an apartment and was going to college.

Being poor to me is having no opportunities (can't go to college, no advancement at work) to better your situation and no backup if something bad were to happen. That can happen to anyone.

snowangel1979
by Bronze Member on Sep. 15, 2013 at 4:16 PM
3 moms liked this
To me It's, no income or not enough income to afford the basic needs in life, such as food, shelter and clothing.

I agree with you I believe that's insecure. There's a big difference between not having food and not having the money or credit to get a new I-phone. KWIM.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bigred1058
by Member on Sep. 15, 2013 at 5:39 PM
This. Big difference between being broke, poor and unestablished.

Quoting snowangel1979:

To me It's, no income or not enough income to afford the basic needs in life, such as food, shelter and clothing.

I agree with you I believe that's insecure. There's a big difference between not having food and not having the money or credit to get a new I-phone. KWIM.

Pukalani79
by Kris on Sep. 15, 2013 at 6:10 PM

I don't really know how to answer this.  I looked it up and this is how Google defines "poor":

"lacking sufficient money to live at a standard considered comfortable or normal in a society:

That being said I know people who would be considered "poor" by Google's standards who would be offended if I read this definition to them.  Again, I don't really know

soymujer
by Gold Member on Sep. 15, 2013 at 6:28 PM

No money, no home.

family in the van   Mom of four

countrymomma81
by Platinum Member on Sep. 15, 2013 at 10:33 PM

I haven't really thought about it. I think if a person thinks they are poor then they are poor. Poor can be different things to different people I suppose. 

By his definition we would be poor. I don't know how I feel about that. 

My kids are in 5 sports or activities a year each, we have season tickets to the college football games, we go to every fair or event that comes to town (the ones we want to go to)...you get the point. We do things and have some things. But we don't have a savings (because every time we start one something happens and we need it. Something in our house or car breaks). And our credit sucks from the 4 times DH got laid off while working in the oilfield. 

Babujai
by Bronze Member on Sep. 15, 2013 at 11:12 PM
Exactly! We're the same...we have some stuff, we do some stuff, but savings and credit take a hit every time we hit a rough patch or have an emergency. We rent a house from my BIL, we have two car payments and sometimes we eat out. The guy I was talking to owned a home and still considered himself poor...LOL! When I said I was at worst "insecure" he accused me of being in denial.

Quoting countrymomma81:

I haven't really thought about it. I think if a person thinks they are poor then they are poor. Poor can be different things to different people I suppose. 

By his definition we would be poor. I don't know how I feel about that. 

My kids are in 5 sports or activities a year each, we have season tickets to the college football games, we go to every fair or event that comes to town (the ones we want to go to)...you get the point. We do things and have some things. But we don't have a savings (because every time we start one something happens and we need it. Something in our house or car breaks). And our credit sucks from the 4 times DH got laid off while working in the oilfield. 

reche1978
by Bronze Member on Sep. 15, 2013 at 11:19 PM

no money, no food, no home

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN