Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

How Do You Get Out Of Visiting Relatives Every Weekend? Help

Posted by on Sep. 16, 2013 at 7:25 PM
  • 7 Replies

I need some help moms. I have a controlling uncle that demands me and my kids to visit him every sunday after church. I'm getting really tired of visiting him every sunday. He is the type person that gets offended and mad when you  don't visit or I tell him I have other plans. How do I get out of visiting him every sunday? How do I deal with him if he gets mad and offended? I love my uncle but I need to spend more time with my kids and parents.

by on Sep. 16, 2013 at 7:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Chris030406
by Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 7:28 PM
Well, we don't live near any of the realities we're close to. The ones near us, we only see at holidays.

I'd try making up excuses.
RollTidemommy3
by Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 9:31 PM

BUMP!

jakesmom323
by on Sep. 16, 2013 at 9:34 PM
1 mom liked this
I've just started blowing off my in laws. I'm so happy now! I just sent my husband to visit with the oldest, I stayed with the youngest. Great day;) First time I just said NO. Lol
GagaNTattooS
by on Sep. 16, 2013 at 9:36 PM
I don't I adore my family... my in laws different story..they live in Maine so now I am good
jackiewal10
by Bronze Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 9:37 PM

I have never in my life (married life) seen family EVERY weekend.  Hell...we don't see them every MONTH!  IMO, you need to do what you need to do and not worry about if so-and-so will be pissed off about it.  So what if he's mad or offended?  Does it really affect you? 

AmesCSki
by Bronze Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 9:44 PM
1 mom liked this
Say you've got other plans or that your kids have a play date or you need a family day. Or fake sick and skip church and give yourself a break! My mom is super demanding and wants to visit constantly and I just say we need some family time or we need a break from our busy lives and that it's simply not a good time for us.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
reche1978
by Bronze Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 9:52 PM
2 moms liked this

You just tell him you want to see you parents or have plans if he gets offended so be it he will get over it.  One thing i learned if you spend your life trying to make others happy and it makes you unhappy its not a way to live.  Life is to short you need to do what makes you and your family happy

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)