Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

I guess I'm a "tattle-tale" mom. *a little long*

Posted by on Sep. 22, 2013 at 12:54 AM
  • 42 Replies

Poll

Question: What would you have done?

Options:

I would have called security.

I would have said something to the kid.

I would have gotten my kids and left.

I wouldn't have done anything.

Other. Please explain below.

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 94

View Results

So, it was raining all day today and we were supposed to take our kids to the park. Instead, we took them to the mall so they could at least get out of the house for a while and have some fun.

When we got there, the play area was CROWDED. Mostly with kids that were obviously too big to be in there.

Normally this doesn't bother me as long as those kids are mindful of the smaller kids they are playing around.

This one kid wasn't.

He was running around, not caring if he knocked a kid or two over. He was jumping off of the structures, doing somersaults over the structures (almost kicking other kids in the face) and he was climbing on this one structure.

Now, this structure that he was climbing on was a tree/slide. It had fake moss hanging down. He was holding on to the the fake moss as he climbed around which was making me very nervous because I was just waiting for the moss to break and him fall and land on one of the little kids.

Yet none of the adults there said anything to him, which I was waiting for.

Then, there was this beehive slide/tunnel structure and he started to lift it up ... with other kids on top of it! That's when my husband got up and said something to him.

He stopped, but he kept watching my husband and whenever my DH had his back turned, the kid would do it again and he started to encourage the other big kids to do the same.

So I got up and got security. They came and all the big children were told to return to their parents. The parents complied, but the big kid that I was talking about, well, turns out his parents weren't even there. They had dropped him off at the mall and left him and his sister there.

When they came to pick them up, security tried to explain why they couldn't play in the play area but the parents were too pissed off to care. They said it was immature of me to "tattle" on their kids.

After they left, the other parents thanked me and my husband for doing something. They said they had wanted to do something, but weren't sure what to do.

What would you have done?

by on Sep. 22, 2013 at 12:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
marrionsmommy
by on Sep. 22, 2013 at 1:06 AM
What do you mean by big kid? Was he a teen or like a 9 yr old? As long as the other parents where there watching their little kids and he wasnt messing with my kids I wouldve just kept my mouth shut since he is just a kid. If he had tried to pick it up when my kid was on it I wouldve gone off on him, scared the ever living crap outta him and threatened to call the cops. If he continued then would have done as you did. I would not have been the one to say something if he hadnt been messing with my kid though. I also would have gotten security and asked to be anonymous, say hey just come over and see whats going on and make yr own conclusionsl

MormonMom3
by Member on Sep. 22, 2013 at 1:16 AM

All I was told was that he was over 10 because I asked if it was illegal to leave your kids there by themselves and security said that it wasn't if you were over 10 years old. Both kids were over 10 so I would say he was probably 12 or 13. He looked younger than that though.

Quoting marrionsmommy:

What do you mean by big kid? Was he a teen or like a 9 yr old? As long as the other parents where there watching their little kids and he wasnt messing with my kids I wouldve just kept my mouth shut since he is just a kid. If he had tried to pick it up when my kid was on it I wouldve gone off on him, scared the ever living crap outta him and threatened to call the cops. If he continued then would have done as you did. I would not have been the one to say something if he hadnt been messing with my kid though. I also would have gotten security and asked to be annoynmous, say hey just come over and see whats going on and make yr own conclusionsl

Pukalani79
by Kris on Sep. 22, 2013 at 3:56 AM
2 moms liked this

You did the right thing

marrionsmommy
by on Sep. 22, 2013 at 4:22 AM
Quoting MormonMom3:

All I was told was that he was over 10 because I asked if it was illegal to leave your kids there by themselves and security said that it wasn't if you were over 10 years old. Both kids were over 10 so I would say he was probably 12 or 13. He looked younger than that though.

Quoting marrionsmommy:What do you mean by big kid? Was he a teen or like a 9 yr old? As long as the other parents where there watching their little kids and he wasnt messing with my kids I wouldve just kept my mouth shut since he is just a kid. If he had tried to pick it up when my kid was on it I wouldve gone off on him, scared the ever living crap outta him and threatened to call the cops. If he continued then would have done as you did. I would not have been the one to say something if he hadnt been messing with my kid though. I also would have gotten security and asked to be annoynmous, say hey just come over and see whats going on and make yr own conclusionsl

oh ok some moms on here say big kids and mean 5 and 6 yr olds becuase they have babies. Yeah I definitly woulda done what u did with a teen or preteen..prolly woulda scared the crap outta him first though lol

esox
by Bronze Member on Sep. 22, 2013 at 4:25 AM
1 mom liked this
Seriously who leaves their 10-13 year olds alone at a crowded mall? Pretty obvious where the kid learned that kind of behavior.
mumsy2three
by Shauna on Sep. 22, 2013 at 7:45 AM

I think you did the right thing.

mrsrobin
by Bronze Member on Sep. 22, 2013 at 7:58 AM
1 mom liked this
This is exactly why we don't go to the playmate in our mall.

Excuse my language: but worthless,asshole parents leave their kids there unattended. It's bullshit. And I'd say so up their face, but I'm that mom.

If your kid is old enough to play in it, they're not old enough to be alone in it.
OliviaW.
by Bronze Member on Sep. 22, 2013 at 8:07 AM
Samething that you did. I would have said something to the kid and if they continued then talked to security. The parents should have had their heads examined.
MormonMom3
by Member on Sep. 22, 2013 at 11:58 AM
Oh no, he was definetly older than 5 or 6. He looked about 9 or 10 to me but security said both he and his sister were over 10 and she appeared to be the younger of the two. For kids of that age though, they seemed very short which may not mean anything, but they were extremely thin. I guess that's why I assumed they were younger.

My DH was actually polite to him. Said, "Could you please not pick that up? Thank you."

He didn't yell, he didn't even talk sternly to him. Yet the kid watched my husband like a hawk after that and then started encouraging the other big kids to do what he had been doing. Like, "How dare you talk to me?"

I feel sorry for the kid though. Didn't seem like his parents cared much about him or his sister.

Quoting marrionsmommy:

Quoting MormonMom3:

Quoting marrionsmommy:What do you mean by big kid? Was he a teen or like a 9 yr old? As long as the other parents where there watching their little kids and he wasnt messing with my kids I wouldve just kept my mouth shut since he is just a kid. If he had tried to pick it up when my kid was on it I wouldve gone off on him, scared the ever living crap outta him and threatened to call the cops. If he continued then would have done as you did. I would not have been the one to say something if he hadnt been messing with my kid though. I also would have gotten security and asked to be annoynmous, say hey just come over and see whats going on and make yr own conclusionsl

oh ok some moms on here say big kids and mean 5 and 6 yr olds becuase they have babies. Yeah I definitly woulda done what u did with a teen or preteen..prolly woulda scared the crap outta him first though lol
Mrs.Thomason
by on Sep. 22, 2013 at 12:21 PM
1 mom liked this

I would have talked to secrurity and then bitched out the parents

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)