Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

Grocery bill - How to save money

Posted by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 8:00 AM
  • 27 Replies
Alright ladies - How do you save money on groceries without coupons? What does your typical grocery list look like? How often do you go?
by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 8:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Saphira1207
by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 8:10 AM

The Frugalistas group has whole sections and threads about this.  If you have time I'd suggest perusing them.

The short list is:
Menu planning

make as much as you can from scratch

Shop the discount stores like Aldi's

buy off label foods instead of the fancy/costly brands

avoid processed foods

eat less meat 

Tckosdk.2012
by Bronze Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 8:25 AM

I try to shop at Walmart for everything. Their prices are much lower than the grocery stores. My city dosn't have a super Walmart though so I end up having to make 2 trips, I have to go to the regular grocery store for meat. I also try to buy as much generic as possible.

lalasmama2007
by Ticia on Sep. 23, 2013 at 8:28 AM

Comparison shop, buy generic, stock up when things are on sale, buy in bulk, etc.

Chymerra
by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 8:52 AM

I do this....except we don't have an Aldi's around here. Our discount grocery store is Market Basket.

Quoting Saphira1207:

The Frugalistas group has whole sections and threads about this.  If you have time I'd suggest perusing them.

The short list is:
Menu planning

make as much as you can from scratch

Shop the discount stores like Aldi's

buy off label foods instead of the fancy/costly brands

avoid processed foods

eat less meat 

Pukalani79
by Kris on Sep. 23, 2013 at 12:58 PM

I try to go once every 2 weeks.  I buy in bulk when I can - I can get 7 meals out of two large trays of chicken breasts which will cost a total of about $20. I buy a large bag of frozen vegetables for $7 which will almost get me through the two weeks rather than buy individual bags for $1/each.  I also only buy brand name on one or two items - cheese (Tillamook) and Greek yogurt (Dannon).  I also plan my meals out ahead of time, so I'm not doing much impulse shopping.  I can and typically do feed my family of 5 healthy meals for less than $100/week

CountryGrlAtHrt
by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 2:05 PM

I shop at cheap stores,I shop when there are sales,I buy store brand,I shop once a week...I will type out a sample list,normally I have the same stuff on my list every week unless I don't need to buy a certain item or the kids ask for something else...

SallyB_LMT
by Bronze Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 2:12 PM

I make a menu, go to farmers market if I can, shop from the bulk section or the store brand if there's no real difference (you have to try the store brand vs the known label because sometimes it doesn't measure up)...and if there's something you like that is expensive, only buy it when it goes on sale and then stock up a bit.

MotoStar
by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 2:18 PM

Menu plan

Buy on sale

Stock up on great deals

Don't by too many processed foods

Domain of the Mad Mommy
(rambling about kids, cooking and life)

imultracool
by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 2:21 PM
I buy a lot at a discount freight place.
Decemberlov
by Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 2:24 PM

I buy my veggies at a produce stand - they're always way cheaper the the grocery store  - even Aldi.

Buy fruits and veggies in season.

Don't waste leftovers.

Butcher your meat yourself - buying a bone in chicken breast and fileting will save lots.

I will go in around 9 at night to buy bagels that they are getting rid of for 1/3 of the price to make room for the fresh ones. They're perfect for making pizza bagels for the kids for a quick dinner or lunch.

I buy my juice in concentrate and always add 2 more cans of water than what it calls for. Even cheaper - just drink water.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN