Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

What do you wish you had been warned/advised about before your wedding?

Posted by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 3:48 PM
  • 11 Replies

What No One Warns You About Your Wedding Day

by Maressa Brown Yesterday at 9:52 AM

arrow wedding directionsYou can read every article in every bridal magazine, every Q&A or checklist on wedding websites, and pick your married friends brains for MONTHS and still be unprepared for some of the "OMG" (both wonderful and cringe-worthy) moments you're bound to encounter wedding planning and finally walking down the aisle. That's why just about anyone who has ever been a bride has coulda/shoulda/woulda thoughts well after they've someone's Mrs.

While it's not healthy to dwell on those thoughts, it doesn't hurt to dish on what you only wish you had known! Hey, it could be the heads-up that saves another bride's day.

What do you wish you had been warned/advised about before your wedding?

Image via iStock

by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 3:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CocoSerra
by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 3:54 PM

I honestly can't think of anything, but I think I had a pretty realistic view of marriage well before I got married and then my husband and I eloped, so no wedding to worry about.  I suppose if I had to mention something, it is that it needs to be reiterated to men and women that so much work is involved in maintaining the relationship.  It's just like any other friendship.  If you don't make time for the other person, make sacrifices and figure out how to communicate with one another, you're doomed!

Colleen

www.thepickledginger.com

jbjohnson
by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 5:39 PM

Don't be cheap when it comes to photography! When I married my ex, hiring a professional photographer seemed so expensive! We ended up hiring a friend of my ex's family who did photography as a hobby. We were the first wedding he'd ever done. Our photos turned out OK, but since he was friends with my in-laws, there were TONS of photos of that side of the family and almost NONE of my side of the family. Also, his flash was out for a big chunk of the reception and he didn't realize it for a long time, so we had no photos of our first dance.

After that, I realized it'd better to skimp on things like favors (that get thrown away) and food (which nobody remembers) and spend some money on the one thing from the wedding that will still be around 50 years from now: photos!

TableforSeven
by Judy on Sep. 23, 2013 at 10:12 PM

We eloped....so there was nothing to stress over because the day was just about US and only us.

diaperstodating
by Angel on Sep. 23, 2013 at 10:18 PM

I can't think of anything.

e-doolittle
by Kelly on Sep. 23, 2013 at 10:50 PM

I wish I hadn't listened to my mom about our videographer.

Ladyteancum
by on Sep. 24, 2013 at 1:22 AM

I wish we had sloped. Our wedding wasn't what I wanted. Both families were not happy about it. I married the man of my dreams. But our wedding was sad. We stood in the horrid receiving line for three hours. Mil and fil freaked out about the idea of us not being there to greet all their many friends.

Briesmom38
by Gold Member on Sep. 24, 2013 at 7:59 AM

I wish I had listened to my dad and not gotten married!

** It's 5 O'clock Somewhere **

AmesCSki
by Bronze Member on Sep. 24, 2013 at 8:09 AM
I wish DH and I had done what WE wanted instead of trying to please everyone else. But in the end what mattered is that we were and still are married.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jinxed8
by Gold Member on Sep. 24, 2013 at 9:35 AM

With my ex-husband I wish someone would have warned me of what the future held.  I also wish someone would have warned about, when you have 100+ guests, you cannot make everyone happy, someone will complain !!  Do what YOU want and not what others want.  Also invest in a decent photographer.  (now it doesn't really matter anymore)

For my second wedding, I learned from my mistakes of the first ; I eloped, we got married with friends only (8 of them) where we wanted, when we wanted, with no outside pressure.  I bought the dress I wanted, we had our wedding reception in a restaurant so everybody ordered what they wanted.  I invested in a photographer and I'm very happy with the results.

Raeann11
by Silver Member on Sep. 24, 2013 at 9:50 AM

Nothing

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)