Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

Do you feel you have a "biological clock" that's ticking?

Posted by on Sep. 24, 2013 at 7:40 PM
  • 11 Replies

To start, I am 35. DH has a Vasectomy 13 years ago and has had nothing but problems. We consulted a urologist and the only way he can get relief is by getting a vasectomy. That was 2 years ago. My biological clock began ticking and I went through a period of wanting a baby. We started saving and I said forget it, I don't want to have one now. Now, in the next several months, he is going to get the reversal done. I keep on planning another child in my head. Does this happen to anyone else? My kids are all teens now, so I will be starting all over again. I do feel that he should've NEVER had the surgery done in the first place as it has been NOTHING but trouble.

What do you think?

by on Sep. 24, 2013 at 7:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
.Peaches.
by on Sep. 24, 2013 at 7:48 PM
2 moms liked this

I think that there are a lot of side effects of sterilization for both men and women that aren't generally talked about, and people go in thinking its gonna be all good, then it turns out not to be. I also think that doctors are making a killing on reversal procedures because people are sure at the moment they're done, but not thinking about 10, 15 years down the road when the kids they have are older. Then again, there are couples who appear to be happy and settled with their decision, so everyone's different.

But that's just my lil 'ol opinion and my word is certainly not law.

didavis
by on Sep. 24, 2013 at 7:52 PM

I don't think I ever would have thought about it as being a good idea. His clips fell off and he has produced sperm this whole time. He has 1 clip remaining. They don't use the clips anymore. We have tried to get insurance to pay for a reversal due to the pain, but they won't. I realize now it was a very bad idea, it was his mothers idea and he shouldn't have listened to her.

countrymomma81
by Platinum Member on Sep. 24, 2013 at 10:21 PM

I have never felt the urge to have a baby. I've never had baby fever, never wanted kids growing up. If my birth control hadn't failed twice I wouldn't have the kids I have today. Don't get me wrong, I love them with everything I have but to say I wanted them before I created them, no, I didn't. 

I had my tubes tied the same day I had my second child. My husband was going to get a vasectomy for double protection but he got laid off then we had to wait for our new insurance to kick in. By that time we sort of forgot about it then he brought it up again. We went to the first urologist appointment then I got sick and needed a complete hysterectomy. He's still willing to do it but I feel like it's unnecessary at this point but we bot agree that if we ever divorce he will get one. We both feel strongly about our kids being our only bio children. Neither of us (well I can't anyway) want our kids to have half siblings. 

Needless to say my kids are 6 and 11 and I am super thankful that we are done. DH and I are 31 and 33 and the thought of having to start all over at this point makes me want to vomit. 

NeonGirl9583
by Member on Sep. 24, 2013 at 10:24 PM
I am 30 and l keep tellin my dh my clock is ticking and he tells me l have a few more yrs. i want another baby but he dont yet.
MixedCooke
by Silver Member on Sep. 25, 2013 at 2:04 AM

I am 35 now and am giving myself until my next birthday to have one final child.  I have 2 girls already and really would feel more complete with 3 kids.  I also do feel the pressure of giving my hubby a son although he has never really pressured me.  I have already had 2 miscarriages though so Im still worried about another or that my age has played a role since they occurred after my daughters were born.

KylesMom409
Really wishing I didn't have to get up at 6 tomorrow. :(
Yesterday at 9:17 PM
by Linnette on Sep. 25, 2013 at 8:17 AM
I'll be 37 in December and I keep hoping DH changes his mind about wanting just one. DS is 6 and even HE has told DH he wants a baby brother. So yes, I feel like my biological clock is DEFINITELY ticking.
CocoSerra
by on Sep. 25, 2013 at 10:06 AM

I guess I can relate.  I'm 38 and have two children, a teen and a tween.  My husband and I were at odds for a while because he wanted more; I did not.  However, he has since said that he realizes that we made the right choice by not having more, but I'm starting to regret it.  But I feel like at 38 I'm just too old to have another baby.

Colleen

www.thepickledginger.com

JennasMom2
by Bronze Member on Sep. 25, 2013 at 10:17 AM

I don't know. The idea of tubes tied, vasectomy and even birth control scare me. There are so many side effects and issues that pop up later that I'd just rather use condoms for protection. I'm not against it by any means, it's just not for me. As for the baby, I've been having baby fever pretty bad myself lately and I feel like hitting the 30's has only made me feel more pressured. Follow your heart. My friend is 35 and has 2 teens and has a 4 month old. Good luck! :) 

mommybug77
by on Sep. 25, 2013 at 10:41 AM
Nope I'm done though sometimes I wish I wasn't.
kitcal78
by on Sep. 25, 2013 at 10:50 AM
At 34 soon to be 35 I started late. I have one son. He will be 19 months on Friday. I kinda have baby fever. I am a single parent. Not dating so a sibling for my son is unlikely. Which makes me sad. Finding a man no less a man in my age range who wants kids is difficult.

I thought I would be married years back. Today's market for a husband is slim pickings.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)