Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

Would you allow your kids to Drink Coffee or Energy Drinks?

Posted by on Sep. 29, 2013 at 2:09 PM
  • 53 Replies

Poll

Question: Would you allow your kids to drink Coffee and Energy drinks?

Options:

Yes, I am ok with it.

No, I am not ok with it.

I would allow it in moderation.

I am not sure.

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 68

View Results

I personally don't think that children should drink coffee and especially not energy drinks. My step Children's BM's allow them to drink both. My step kids are 12,10, and 6. When I was growing up I know that I didn't start drinking coffee until I was about 16 or 17, and everyone always used to say that it stunts your growth. (maybe this is why I am only 5'2" lol) I don't know if this is really true or just something people said, but I think that energy drinks are dangerous for anyone especially kids and I personally wont touch them because I have a heart murmur and energy drinks make my heart race and I feel like I'm going to have a heart attack so I stay far away from them. I am curious what other moms think. Is this ok with you? Would you allow your kids to drink this stuff? Would you allow one over the other?
by on Sep. 29, 2013 at 2:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
chasingsanity
by on Sep. 29, 2013 at 2:36 PM

To me it depends on the child. My middle son is very laid back and can handle them ok. No craziness! My youngest daughter...... ooooo heck no!!! Total craziness!

mommy-munster
by on Sep. 29, 2013 at 2:38 PM
2 moms liked this
The whole drinking coffe to young stunt's your growth is a myth, in fact I do let my son who has adhd drink coffe he is 6 yrs. And this was after speaking to his Dr. About it. She said that since I do not want to do medication that coffe and fish oil vitamins are great for children with adhd as it helps them focus and concentrate and it works to calm down there busy mind's and bodies. His teacher even said he is much better focusing in class due to those simple changes :) but energy drink's absolutely not those are not natural ingredient's and have waaaayyyy to much sugar. Shoot if I feel like I am gonna have a heart attack drinking one then what does it do to our kid's.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Looneyfarmmom
by on Sep. 29, 2013 at 2:42 PM

Recently they banned selling children energy drinks due to the fact high schoolers would come and get like six of them at a time and could not sit still in class at all. Plus with the recent medical news of children as young as five having heart problems after being on those drinks they are still trying to figure out how to make it a nationwide ban.

My son will not be drinking those what so ever because of his acid reflux. He tried to sneak one with grandma because she didn't think it was a big deal and he was bent over screaming in pain because of it. See, Momma isn't an overly paranoid woman with control issues.

Edit: They banned it in the part of town I am in because kids would leave for lunch and buy those drinks at the local convenient store. I think about four convenient stores and a few grocery stores ban selling those drinks to anyone under 18. 

Rhiannon1980
by on Sep. 29, 2013 at 2:45 PM
Ds is 3 and we allow some coffee and Mt. Dew because we know he is ADHD and I'd calms him down. We have already decided we didn't want him on meds at any point if we can avoid it. Both dh and I are ADHD as well. So we know ds gets it honestly.
mom2gmp2
by Member on Sep. 29, 2013 at 2:46 PM
I've let my oldest drink coffee since he was about 5. He doesn't drink it anymore, though. He's only ever had one energy drink and that was several years ago when he wen to the store with some of his older cousins. I don't let him have them.
anotherandree
by Inga on Sep. 29, 2013 at 2:57 PM
2 moms liked this

Energy drinks is a BIG NO.  Coffee is okay in moderation because it is something that our family just does.  When my son was 2, (before I had my daughter), he and I would get up and each have a cup of coffee on Sunday morning while we watched cartoons.  I made his coffee just like I made mine.  It is one of my FAVORITE memories of our time together.

BNC1100
by on Sep. 29, 2013 at 3:03 PM

2 of my daughters are adhd as well and I have heard that it calms them down. It also helps with children with asthma in the event they are having an asthma attack. In this case I don't see a problem with the coffee because it is used for its benifets.  For a kid just to drink it just because they want it, I don't always agree with depends on the age. My 16 year old I allow to drink it if she wants too because she is older but the rest of the kids I wont let them. I am 100% against the energy drinks myself

Quoting mommy-munster:

The whole drinking coffe to young stunt's your growth is a myth, in fact I do let my son who has adhd drink coffe he is 6 yrs. And this was after speaking to his Dr. About it. She said that since I do not want to do medication that coffe and fish oil vitamins are great for children with adhd as it helps them focus and concentrate and it works to calm down there busy mind's and bodies. His teacher even said he is much better focusing in class due to those simple changes :) but energy drink's absolutely not those are not natural ingredient's and have waaaayyyy to much sugar. Shoot if I feel like I am gonna have a heart attack drinking one then what does it do to our kid's.

Lordgodempress
by Member on Sep. 29, 2013 at 3:04 PM

My kids are not allowed energy drinks but my 16 yr old has coffee every morning and that doesnt bother me.

jadedcynic
by Member on Sep. 29, 2013 at 3:12 PM

My son has ADHD, caffeine actually calms his brain to where he can function. Same with me. His sister doesn't have ADHD but I don't mind giving her the occasional drink. 

You need to remember that she is their mother, not you. She has the right to decide what is appropriate for her children. You aren't any better than her because you are against them having coffee or energy drinks.

DACIA79
by Bronze Member on Sep. 29, 2013 at 3:24 PM
No

I know that there are medical reasons why some children coffee is beneficial. However that hasnt been a issue for my kids so no caffeine drinks
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)