Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

Midlife crisis at 32!!!

Posted by on Sep. 30, 2013 at 7:25 PM
  • 12 Replies
I feel as though I am lost. I need to find a new career goal after ruining my chance of becoming a nurse while trying to study to be a nurse while in a domestically violent failed marriage last year. The odds just seem to be against me as a single unemployed mother of three. Like this bites! Why is it that I know the benefits of furthering my education, but resources for affordable child care is as few as my support system. My grandma just moved in and explained that she doesn't intend on watching my kids and that I need to be home for them(ages 12, 9, and 6) but I feel as though I should be securing our future after all it's just me and them, I mean yeah their father sees them every other weekend but it's not enough. I expect a crap load more of grays as something has to give. Lord where is my place in this big chaotic world? How can I make this work?
by on Sep. 30, 2013 at 7:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mLillys
by on Sep. 30, 2013 at 8:06 PM
2 moms liked this

Have you tried looking into different grants and programs for single moms to go back to school? I can't remember the names of them off hand, but know there is a bunch. Also, depending on your state, you can get fairly cheap childcare through state-supported programs. Are there any after-school programs the kids could do so they're been watched there longer and then have the 12 year old keep an eye on them for an hour or two till you get home? Hang in there, it's hard, but you will figure something out!! It sounds like you already made the first step toward giving you and your kids a better future by getting out of the abusive marriage--the first step is always the hardest and you've got that one in the bag. :)

Crissy2424
by Bronze Member on Sep. 30, 2013 at 8:33 PM
1 mom liked this

I also think there are funds for single moms to go back to school. Look into Welfare because it can help with daycare and food stamps for you. Have you considered online schooling? Good luck, mama!

clairewait
by Bronze Member on Sep. 30, 2013 at 9:11 PM
2 moms liked this

Can you at least do part time school while your kids are at school? I mean, that is close to 8 hours a day.

Are you receiving any alimony? What about child support?

Claire Wait

My blog: TheUnderToad.com

SashaGlam1981
by on Oct. 1, 2013 at 7:10 AM

Thanks ladies all of your responses are very good. Yes I get child support, and he has been doing a good job of paying it on time, also yes I am getting food tamps but I refuse any financial services as I don't want social services putting a lean on our home. I am considering going back to school, however it will have to be full-time in order to avoid taking out any student loans. I just wish the next step was easier than the first. The job market sucks. Thanks again, I haven't given up just yet. 

KylesMom409
by Linnette on Oct. 1, 2013 at 7:52 AM
1 mom liked this
I wish you the best!!! We're here for you if you need to vent, cry, shout, anything! Hugs!
clairewait
by Bronze Member on Oct. 1, 2013 at 9:12 AM

The job market does suck. This is true.

Not sure what bridges you burned in nursing school, but I've been telling every high school kid I know that nursing is one of the best industries left.

Can you salvage that plan?

Claire Wait

My blog: TheUnderToad.com

Jinxed8
by Gold Member on Oct. 1, 2013 at 10:09 AM
1 mom liked this

I don't think you're going through a mid-life crisis - I think however that you're gonig through a hard time and you could certainly use a hand !   I would inquire with local organisations to see if anyone can help you in any way. That's harsh of your grand-mother !!!  And as far as nursing look into grants or subsidised classes ...

isaacsmommy68
by Member on Oct. 1, 2013 at 2:48 PM

This is what the system is used for, to get you back on your feet! Use it before it no longer exist. Good luck, sending you calming thoughts  hugs

Quoting Crissy2424:

I also think there are funds for single moms to go back to school. Look into Welfare because it can help with daycare and food stamps for you. Have you considered online schooling? Good luck, mama!

monkeymom1104
by on Oct. 1, 2013 at 7:34 PM
If your divorced is not finalized make sure you do that before applying for grants and such. I don't see no problem in utilizing government assistance in your case you want to use it on a short term basis then support your family...thats great and that's how it should be used. Is your grandma ill? Did she move in to help out with bills or for you to help her? If shes capable and not providing financial support, but doesn't want to help watch your children so that you can better your families future, its time you and granny had a heart to heart.
monkeymom1104
by on Oct. 1, 2013 at 7:36 PM
I didn't know they could lean property? Is that just in selected states or???? That seems odd to me.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)