Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

(Teeth) Caps on a Three-Year-Old?

Posted by on Oct. 2, 2013 at 6:42 PM
  • 14 Replies

My daughter, who will have just turned three by the time her appointment comes around (at the end of this month), has some bad teeth. Her front two teeth have been decaying for some time and we've finally been able to get her to the dentist. She HATED it. She's always hated people messing with her mouth and did not like getting her teeth cleaned at all. I think it scared her more than anything. But with her front teeth being as bad as they are, her dentist wants to put caps on them to keep them from decaying further and possibly progressing to the roots or even her permanent teeth. But they want to do it with a local anesthetic, which I just know she will freak out about through the whole procedure. I'm hoping we can convince them to sedate her, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

Basically, it has to be done to save her a lot of pain and problems later of the decay progresses to her gums or permanent teeth. But we're concerned that it may cause some lasting trauma and she will always have a negative experience when it comes to the dentist.

Has anyone else had to get caps for their small children? Were they old enough to be sedated? I not, how did that go? How do they feel about the dentist now?

by on Oct. 2, 2013 at 6:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bunnywzrd
by Bronze Member on Oct. 2, 2013 at 6:53 PM

My daughter was 4 i think. They put her completely to sleep to do the work. She would not have let them do it any other way.

Mojitomommy
by on Oct. 2, 2013 at 6:54 PM
Yes . My older DD had like 9 .
She loved them BC she could eat and drink hot and cold foods again. good luck .
quickbooksworm
by Member on Oct. 2, 2013 at 7:02 PM
1 mom liked this

I was a dental assistant.  What do you mean by sedated?  Nitrous, yes.  General anesthesia, absolutely not.  Dentists are not allowed to perform general anesthesia (there are exceptions depending on credentials and whatnot) in the first place and it is overkill.  Nitrous is just fine.

The procedure on children is not nearly as extensive as it is on adults and it can be done very quickly.  The front teeth are pretty accessible. 

countrymomma81
by Platinum Member on Oct. 2, 2013 at 7:07 PM

Not my kids but my sisters 3 kids all had them. They never gave any trouble as far as I'm aware. 

MegaMutant
by on Oct. 2, 2013 at 7:13 PM

Quoting quickbooksworm:

I was a dental assistant.  What do you mean by sedated?  Nitrous, yes.  General anesthesia, absolutely not.  Dentists are not allowed to perform general anesthesia (there are exceptions depending on credentials and whatnot) in the first place and it is overkill.  Nitrous is just fine.

The procedure on children is not nearly as extensive as it is on adults and it can be done very quickly.  The front teeth are pretty accessible. 

They're saying she's too young for nitrous, but I would really rather they used it. Since she'll be three (I don't think they were quite aware that she would be three before they do the caps) do you think I'd be able to convince them to do it?

quickbooksworm
by Member on Oct. 2, 2013 at 7:28 PM

Well, at that age the mask for the nitrous might freak her out more than it would help.  I don't know why they won't do it - it might be their liability insurance or they might not want the liability at all.  It's hard to regulate on toddlers.  But if they start and she freaks out, they'll most likely give it to her.  Are you going back with her?  If they ask you not to (and most kids are a thousand times better without their parents there so that's why they ask) just go where she can't see you but you don't have to leave her.

Quoting MegaMutant:

Quoting quickbooksworm:

They're saying she's too young for nitrous, but I would really rather they used it. Since she'll be three (I don't think they were quite aware that she would be three before they do the caps) do you think I'd be able to convince them to do it?

MegaMutant
by on Oct. 2, 2013 at 7:42 PM

Quoting quickbooksworm:

Well, at that age the mask for the nitrous might freak her out more than it would help.  I don't know why they won't do it - it might be their liability insurance or they might not want the liability at all.  It's hard to regulate on toddlers.  But if they start and she freaks out, they'll most likely give it to her.  Are you going back with her?  If they ask you not to (and most kids are a thousand times better without their parents there so that's why they ask) just go where she can't see you but you don't have to leave her.

Quoting MegaMutant:

Quoting quickbooksworm:

What sort of liabilities might they be concerned with?

Pnukey
by Bronze Member on Oct. 2, 2013 at 7:42 PM

DS was 5. They gassed him. He doesn't remember a thing.

Cmgmqmmom
by Member on Oct. 2, 2013 at 7:44 PM
It's probably their insurance. Their provider may not allow them to sedate children that young.

Quoting MegaMutant:

Quoting quickbooksworm:

Quoting MegaMutant:

Quoting quickbooksworm:

quickbooksworm
by Member on Oct. 2, 2013 at 7:59 PM

Well, any of the things in the waiver you sign when you say it's ok to use anesthesia.  Everyone has liability for something.  I do accounting and I have liability insurance and agree to do or not do certain things.

Quoting MegaMutant:

Quoting quickbooksworm:

Quoting MegaMutant:

Quoting quickbooksworm:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)