Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

What kind of parents do this?!

Posted by on Oct. 13, 2013 at 2:17 PM
  • 19 Replies
Well, I know what kind...

We have a neighbor girl who is 11 yrs old. She and my sd are close friends. Yesterday, she kept asking if her friend could stay the night last night, but I continued to say no because the boys each had friends stay the night
This weekend and I wanted one night this weekend without an extra kid.

The girl across the street came up with what I thought was a made up story about how her parents are having an open house and she couldn't be there and if she couldn't be here, then she would have to go to the playground all day and not go home. Well I told her that was silly and couldn't possibly be true. I figured it was a sob story so that I would say yes. We agreed that she could come over in the morning and hang out until the open house was over.

Fast forward to today. She's been here all morning and earlier, way before the realtor showed up, she needed to go home and get some school work to work on, and my husband saw her being turned away and heard her dad tell her not to come back. Dh decided to go talk to her dad and ask why its so bad if a kid is at the open house. Her dad said its like selling a car and you can't have a kid there telling people that something in the house isn't right. Ummm, what does he have to hide?

So anyways, her parents have left their house together shortly after the realtor set up. What an inventive way to come up with a baby sitter huh? Not once did the parents come and ask us to do this. They left it up to their daughter to find a place to go! To top it off, the dad never once told dh thank you for having my daughter all day.
by on Oct. 13, 2013 at 2:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Pukalani79
by Kris on Oct. 13, 2013 at 2:19 PM

Wow. I feel bad for the little girl

lnrmom
by Member on Oct. 13, 2013 at 2:24 PM
That's insane.
waytomanykids10
by on Oct. 13, 2013 at 2:51 PM

My mother did it to us all the time. Whenever they had dinner parties my 2 oldest sisters got to stay but the rest of my siblings and I weren't allowed to be in the house. Sometimes I think my parents friends didn't know there were 7 kids.

hopealways4019
by Bronze Member on Oct. 13, 2013 at 3:52 PM
1 mom liked this
Those are some shitty parents, some people shouldnt be allowed to birth kids.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
busymommy2013
by on Oct. 13, 2013 at 4:27 PM
I know! When she saw that they had left, she started crying.

Quoting Pukalani79:

Wow. I feel bad for the little girl

HeathersRich
by Silver Member on Oct. 13, 2013 at 4:32 PM
I really don't understand why some people bother to be parents. Poor kids.
anotherandree
by Inga on Oct. 13, 2013 at 4:40 PM
My first thought is (if you guys weren't there), what if she needed to use the bathroom? I mean 11 is old enough to stay home alone for a short time. But the key word is HOME. Geesh.
MommyAddie
by Member on Oct. 13, 2013 at 4:58 PM
Why were the parents even at the open house if they have a realtor?

Anyway, I would make certain those parents know how much you didn't appreciate being imposed upon by them, especially when they decided to leave without her.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
busymommy2013
by on Oct. 13, 2013 at 4:59 PM
Exactly! They can't just expect their child to wander the streets all day, and its their responsibility to find a safe place for their child. Instead, they had their child trying to find a place. We also had plans today too, but we felt so bad for her that we just stayed home instead.

Quoting anotherandree:

My first thought is (if you guys weren't there), what if she needed to use the bathroom? I mean 11 is old enough to stay home alone for a short time. But the key word is HOME. Geesh.

busymommy2013
by on Oct. 13, 2013 at 5:02 PM
They ended up leaving and leaving their daughter here. Their excuse for the mother or father not taking child somewhere was that they both needed to be there...they weren't there anyways! There's no reason to lie in order to find a sitter. Things could be so much simpler and less hurtful for their child if they were just honest about wanting to go do adult things without child.

Quoting MommyAddie:

Why were the parents even at the open house if they have a realtor?

Anyway, I would make certain those parents know how much you didn't appreciate being imposed upon by them, especially when they decided to leave without her.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)