Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

Half on the rent (PIOG)

Posted by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 6:17 PM
  • 28 Replies
was talking to a co worker/ friend of mine today and she left me with this question.

If you are married or living with your S/O do you pay half of the rent?

My co worker is married. We were talking about boots and I was telling her about a sale going on now and she says that will have to wait because her DH will kill her if she don't have her half of the rent.

I'm not judging or anything, just curious as to if that is common practice (couples splitting the rent in roommate fashion). DF makes more than me so he pays our largest bill (rent) and I handle our sons tuition, my phone bill, food and cable. Every now and again I will surprise him and pay the truck note (the insurance is an automatic debit so i never get to "surprise" him with that)

Again I'm not judging but was moreso curious because just like Me her husband makes more than her (wayyyy more) so I was kinda thrown off and wondering is "splitting the rent" common practice.... Especially when married
by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 6:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
my4boys2002
by Silver Member on Oct. 26, 2013 at 6:19 PM
1 mom liked this
My hubby pays all the bills my paycheck goes to shopping or what the kids need.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Pnukey
by Bronze Member on Oct. 26, 2013 at 7:26 PM
3 moms liked this

Both of our paychecks go into the same account. We have never kept track of "halfsies" or whatever. It's just us. Together.

Sophie1106
by Paula on Oct. 26, 2013 at 7:30 PM
1 mom liked this

We've never separated our money and split up bills like that. All our money goes into one account and we pay the bills and make purchases as we need to from that account. 

CLEKate
by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 7:31 PM

I have always paid our rent/mortgage.  I have also always made WAY more (3-4 times) than my husband.

snowangel1979
by Bronze Member on Oct. 26, 2013 at 7:44 PM
Technically, DH pays all the bills because I'm a SAHM. When I was working both pay checks went into the same account and we didn't keep track of who paid what.

I know one person who did that 1/2 thing but they each paid 1/2 of everything and their marriage didn't last long.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mysweet1s
by Member on Oct. 26, 2013 at 7:47 PM

All of our money goes into the same accounts.  It has always been that way. 

mysweet1s
by Member on Oct. 26, 2013 at 7:48 PM

I should note that my in laws pay things seperately, but they got amarried when they were in their 50's, and both make about the same. 

aimesnyc
by Member on Oct. 26, 2013 at 7:52 PM

This

Quoting Pnukey:

Both of our paychecks go into the same account. We have never kept track of "halfsies" or whatever. It's just us. Together.

KylesMom409
by Linnette on Oct. 26, 2013 at 8:13 PM
Quoting my4boys2002:

My hubby pays all the bills my paycheck goes to shopping or what the kids need.

Same here.
12yrmama
by Bronze Member on Oct. 26, 2013 at 9:51 PM

Nope. But I'm only working p-t now. My money covers groceries.

When we were both working full-time and sharing an apartment we divided bills as evenly as we could; I would pay utilities and groceries, he paid rent and for dates/extras. I think if you're both working full-time and making similar money you should split/share bills.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)