Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

can someone give me some advice please

Posted by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 9:08 PM
  • 17 Replies
I just had a meeting with my daughters teacher and she said my dd reads well but is not comprehending what she is reading. I'm trying to help but I'm not getting anywhere. Anyone had a situation like this or does anyone have any suggestions how I can help my dd? I'm feeling like a failure of a mother
by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 9:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
DACIA79
by Bronze Member on Oct. 26, 2013 at 9:13 PM
I don't have that problem YET!!! but I'm sure I will soon enough.

But I promise its a common problem

Have you tried books that she enjoys its not easy to comprehend stories that bore you to death.
babybabe
by Minka on Oct. 26, 2013 at 9:22 PM

How old is your dd?

12yrmama
by Bronze Member on Oct. 26, 2013 at 9:44 PM
1 mom liked this

Read aloud to her everynight and ask her questions about the story. Or have her read it to you and tell you extra thoughts. Some books have questions after each chapter (like old/discontinued school readers).

momof1want1mor
by Member on Oct. 26, 2013 at 9:58 PM
She is nine and in the forth grade

Quoting babybabe:

How old is your dd?

momof1want1mor
by Member on Oct. 26, 2013 at 9:59 PM
Fourth**

Quoting momof1want1mor:

She is nine and in the forth grade

Quoting babybabe:

How old is your dd?

momof1want1mor
by Member on Oct. 26, 2013 at 10:00 PM
I've been trying that, but just recently so maybe I need to just give that time

Quoting 12yrmama:

Read aloud to her everynight and ask her questions about the story. Or have her read it to you and tell you extra thoughts. Some books have questions after each chapter (like old/discontinued school readers).

momof1want1mor
by Member on Oct. 26, 2013 at 10:01 PM
Not yet just tried the books sent home, buy those are boring to me so I'm sure she thinks they are terrible Lol

Quoting DACIA79:

I don't have that problem YET!!! but I'm sure I will soon enough.

But I promise its a common problem

Have you tried books that she enjoys its not easy to comprehend stories that bore you to death.

LeilaBeansMom
by Member on Oct. 26, 2013 at 10:04 PM
2 moms liked this
Hmmmmm....maybe start having her write stories? Maybe if she is making them up she will start paying more attention to the content?
I would also read one page and ask one or 2 questions about that page?
Maybe read the story than have her write or tell you a quick book report? Like who were the main characters? What did they do? Where did they go? Etc, etc.
Good luck!
momof1want1mor
by Member on Oct. 26, 2013 at 10:07 PM
Great ideas, and you know, maybe I should lookat the positive..... I'll turn it into quality time with her ;) thx again hon

Quoting LeilaBeansMom:

Hmmmmm....maybe start having her write stories? Maybe if she is making them up she will start paying more attention to the content?

Maybe read the story than have her write or tell you a quick book report? Like who were the main characters? What did they do? Where did they go? Etc, etc.

Good luck!

LeilaBeansMom
by Member on Oct. 26, 2013 at 10:11 PM
Good point! It's always good to have extra time together! You're welcome!

Quoting momof1want1mor:

Great ideas, and you know, maybe I should lookat the positive..... I'll turn it into quality time with her ;) thx again hon

Quoting LeilaBeansMom:

Good luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)