Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

Now that is a SMART dog!

Posted by on Nov. 2, 2013 at 1:32 PM
  • 20 Replies
1 mom liked this

Last night my DH was walking home from services and passed by the synagogue a friend goes to and they bumped into each other and started walking home together - the other man's home is along the way to our place.  Shortly after they started walking a dog started following them.  The dog was limping - it didn't seem bloody or anything...they assumed it had maybe been hit by a car.  It limped along behind them all the way to where they parted company - then continued to follow the other man.  

It was definitely a stray...no tags, no collar....looked like most of the strays around town.

After dinner, DH, DD#3, and I headed over to the other man's house - he had said we should come by if we were up to it later in the evening...so we did.  As we got close to their house, we saw the dog - laying outside our friend's door.  It moved, we went inside, and told them that the dog was there.  Feeling bad for it, our friend went out and gave the dog something to eat.  Our daughter was heading out and when she went to leave, the dog was still there -- it had been laying against the door and when she opened the door, the dog fell/rolled inside their house!  Though it immediately went back outside as she left.

A few hours later, DH and I were leaving - the dog was STILL THERE! But, as we left - it started following us!  It was limping along.  We live up hill - a pretty steep hill - from our friends.  I kept trying to get the dog to stay behind...but it kept following us.  It was not afraid of people either - it was walking right on our heels!  I miss stepped on the uneven sidewalk along the way and the dog was so close behind it actually bumped into me!

About halfway to our place there was a stray cat on the sidewalk about 40 feet away.  The dog took off at a sprint and chased the cat for a bit.  Then it jogged back toward us until it was almost next to us and then it started limping again!  LOL!   What a SMART DOG -- limping around until people feel badly for it and feed it.  I assume it WAS injured at some point and it might even really have a stiff leg/limp...but it also can, obviously, get around well.

I was telling another woman about what happened this morning - she asked me if it was a small, brown dog with no tail.  Apparently, this dog has been pulling this same stunt for TWO YEARS now.  This woman lives in a neighborhood nearby and the dog was there until recently.  Like I said....SMART DOG!

by on Nov. 2, 2013 at 1:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
katiebug840204
by Silver Member on Nov. 3, 2013 at 8:02 PM
1 mom liked this
Haha that's great!
KylesMom409
Really wishing I didn't have to get up at 6 tomorrow. :(
Today at 9:17 PM
by Linnette on Nov. 3, 2013 at 8:57 PM
1 mom liked this
What a great story!
kourtneya
by on Nov. 3, 2013 at 9:00 PM
1 mom liked this
Lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
countrymomma81
by Platinum Member on Nov. 3, 2013 at 9:25 PM
1 mom liked this

Poor thing. He is a smart dog though!

VintageWife
by Silver Member on Nov. 3, 2013 at 10:24 PM
1 mom liked this

That's just awesome!

1CrazyCajun
by Bronze Member on Nov. 4, 2013 at 3:55 PM
1 mom liked this

Awesome !

Another reason why I love dogs.

No Drama Mamas  Click Here

Kfdmrw9312
by on Nov. 4, 2013 at 6:34 PM
1 mom liked this

So let's get this strait, you pass a dog that is apparently homeless and possibly injured in some way, and you do nothing other than make a post on cafe mom? That seems heartless to me. You just went home and did nothing for it? Who is to say that it is not limping because of an old injury that healed wrong, it could very well be the case. And let me guess the dog is still wandering around homeless?

ornerylela
by New Member on Nov. 4, 2013 at 9:35 PM

Dogs are not capable of deception and planning ahead as we are.  Previous poster correct.  Dog injured, or past injury.  With a burst of adrenaline through your body even a weakened creature may well appear virile.

The dog might be coincidentally smart, but you are just naive and/or dumb.

TableforSeven
by Judy on Nov. 4, 2013 at 10:21 PM

This happened on Shabbat- Friday evening.  The dog was not bleeding, nor did it seem to be struggling to breath....so this was not a matter of life-and-death.  There was nothing we could do at the time except for feed it, which our friends did.  If this had happened during the week, we could have tried calling he dog catcher....but by Saturday morning he was gone and I haven't seen him since, nothing I can do about it unless I see it again.

Also, since another friend described the dog and said he has been limping around town for at least two years....he is obviously doing well even with the old injury.

Quoting Kfdmrw9312:

So let's get this strait, you pass a dog that is apparently homeless and possibly injured in some way, and you do nothing other than make a post on cafe mom? That seems heartless to me. You just went home and did nothing for it? Who is to say that it is not limping because of an old injury that healed wrong, it could very well be the case. And let me guess the dog is still wandering around homeless?

TableforSeven
by Judy on Nov. 4, 2013 at 10:23 PM

Thanks for calling me names.....always fun to start my day by being insulted.  Lol

I guess you missed the part where I said another friend in town has seen this dog, limping, around town for two years already.  He is obviously doing ok.

Quoting ornerylela:

Dogs are not capable of deception and planning ahead as we are.  Previous poster correct.  Dog injured, or past injury.  With a burst of adrenaline through your body even a weakened creature may well appear virile.

The dog might be coincidentally smart, but you are just naive and/or dumb.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)