Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

Thinking about private school...and we are only in Kindergarten

Posted by on Nov. 8, 2013 at 10:32 AM
  • 16 Replies

We purposely moved out to a newer section of our city with highly rated schools. This is a pricier area so we had concerns about the enviroment moving from our nice laid back neighborhood. My daughter was in private pre-K nearby and my baby in daycare.

I am shocked what I am seeing/hearing at my child's school and am thinking about either Catholic school (we are Lutheran) or a private school. My husband is not as keen as the idea since the property taxes here are high about $5-7 K and he does not like the idea of another $3K or more for tuition.

I am interested in hearing the pros and cons from people who took their kids out of public school. Thanks.

by on Nov. 8, 2013 at 10:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CountryGrlAtHrt
by on Nov. 8, 2013 at 1:08 PM

I didn't,I love the school my children attend in fact it's the same elementary school I went to it's a public school

BUMP

Dabberdoo
by Bronze Member on Nov. 8, 2013 at 1:11 PM

It depends on why you want to leave.  If you are wanting to leave because of Common Core then your answer isn't necessarily a private school, especially a Catholic one, because many of them are following Common Core, also.  We home school.

STVUstudent
by on Nov. 8, 2013 at 1:16 PM

we were never in public school.  The school we were zoned for was pretty bad, and the classes were huge.  we went with one of the Catholic schools in our city... with every penny, and we aren't Catholic.

mcginnisc
by Bronze Member on Nov. 8, 2013 at 1:30 PM

We have never had the girls in public school. We have always had ours in a private Christian school. It is very worth the tuition we spend. My oldest has been in private school for 4 years as she is in 2nd grade and my youngest has been in school for 2 years as she is in Kindergarten. 

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 

Pnukey
by Bronze Member on Nov. 8, 2013 at 1:30 PM

You have to do what you're comfortable with. I will never ever send my kids to private school but I also live in a good enough area where I don't fear for their safety at the public schools.

CorpCityGrl
by Bronze Member on Nov. 8, 2013 at 1:32 PM

You have to do what you are comfortable with and what is best for your child. 

happymama2D
by Member on Nov. 8, 2013 at 1:36 PM
1 mom liked this
My son went to kindergarten at a public school last year and we switched to a private Lutheran school for First grade this year. There were just a lot of little things that I was not happy with at the public school. The school district is a good district, it just wasn't for us. I am extremely happy with our decision to move him.
PM if you want to talk in more detail!
countrymomma81
by Platinum Member on Nov. 8, 2013 at 2:26 PM

I'm no help. We love our school. The church we started attending has a Christian school so we've thought about it. There just aren't as many opportunities for our children such as sports, band, 4-H, Homecomings and prom. We don't want our kids to miss things like this. 

midwest_diva
by on Nov. 8, 2013 at 3:04 PM

Thank you for the input. The curriculum is fine where we are- the district is top rated. Just more concerned about the social implications of the school. Very competitive area as far as larger homes, designer clothes, etc and that mentality seems to trickle down to unhappy/aggressive kids. Oddly enough about 3 miles down the road the schools are more relaxed and people are more content.

I did tour a magnet school in our district today as well located about 7 miles from where we live which has Montessori classrooms for elementary school. I really liked that, but I have concerns about her transitioning back to a more mainstream JR high or High School.

e-doolittle
by Kelly on Nov. 8, 2013 at 8:55 PM

here's a bump for you!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)