Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

If you get BAD service, do you still TIP?

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2013 at 12:05 PM
  • 96 Replies
1 mom liked this

Last night my family and I went out to dinner and had horrible service.  Usually when we have horrible service, we still tip.  I went outside with the girls while my hubby stayed back waiting for the check and he later informed me that he had NOT LEFT A TIP for the first time in years.  Being a former waitress, I tip regardless.  So, I am curious, DO YOU TIP EVEN IF YOU'VE GOTTEN BAD SERVICE?

by on Nov. 9, 2013 at 12:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ambcortez
by Bronze Member on Nov. 9, 2013 at 12:47 PM
1 mom liked this

If the service is inexcusably bad, I don't tip, but leave a note explaining why. Sometimes I can understand poor service depending on how busy the place is. I haven't tipped maybe twice in my life and it was from a waitress being flat-out rude and neglectful or the service being so bad that we left before our food came (waited about an hour with nobody stopping by).

offrdngal
by Gold Member on Nov. 9, 2013 at 12:52 PM
2 moms liked this
If a waitress gives bad service, no, I won't leave a tip. You go into that job, knowing that your tips are based upon how you treat the customers. If you want good tips, you'll give good service. If you treat the customers poorly, expect little to no tip. It's not my problem that waitresses only make 2-something per hour + tips. I should not be expected to give my hard-earned money to someone who treats me poorly.

CotterpinDoozer
by Silver Member on Nov. 9, 2013 at 12:52 PM
2 moms liked this

It depends on how bad honestly. The last time we didn't tip was because our waiter forgot us. We sat there for an hour with no food and no drink refills and when we finally flagged down a manager to ask what was taking our food so long, as our DD was getting antsy, we found out he had never actually even put our order in. Needless to say we weren't pleased, and when our food was brought to us, (to go) we didn't leave a tip. What would we have tipped for, ignoring us for an hour? I believe in tipping well, but you have to put forth some sort of effort. You don't get a tip just for showing up at your job.

Raeann11
by Silver Member on Nov. 9, 2013 at 1:26 PM

We tip on the service. Rarely have no not left a tip. But when it is bad yes I have left with no tip. Most the time we will leave a little tip.

Mommy2Boys0900
by Unique Yanique on Nov. 9, 2013 at 1:29 PM
If the service is bad, I do not leave a tip
mrsary
by Silver Member on Nov. 9, 2013 at 1:29 PM
1 mom liked this
Nope!
lalasmama2007
by Ticia on Nov. 9, 2013 at 1:35 PM

I've never left without leaving a tip.  I have left a very small tip once when the service was poor.

kacfl816
by Member on Nov. 9, 2013 at 1:42 PM
I tip if I have bad service I just don't tip a lot
hemanclub
by on Nov. 9, 2013 at 1:49 PM
4 moms liked this

Yes!  Everyone has a bad day and I try to give them the benefit of the doubt.

natural_s
by Bronze Member on Nov. 9, 2013 at 1:56 PM

Yes I have, even though I was told by my company  not to but I have to be me regardless of how others choose to behave. I may not have left as much of a tip as I normally would have but I still left something.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)