Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

Holiday Traditions?

Posted by on Nov. 10, 2013 at 8:20 PM
  • 18 Replies

The holidays are upon us and I was wanting to know some of your family traditions? When I was growing up we really didn't have any and now that I am a mother of three I like to do new things with my children. My family is a blend of Irish, Cherokee Indian and Mexican cultures... so anything that you would like to share no matter from what culture is welcome.

Thanks for sharing :)

by on Nov. 10, 2013 at 8:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mariesmama
by Gold Member on Nov. 10, 2013 at 9:02 PM

my dd is 4 and we can teach her what the nativity set my dad painted is all about. we'll make paper and glue&glitter ornaments, and make cookie cutter cookies for santa

KylesMom409
by Linnette on Nov. 10, 2013 at 9:48 PM
We don't open any presents until Christmas morning; I make pumpkin pie every year for both Thanksgiving and Christmas; DS helps me bake Christmas cookies every year. :)
TableforSeven
by Judy on Nov. 10, 2013 at 11:22 PM
1 mom liked this

Everyone in our family has their own, personal, Hanukkiah (special menorah used at Hanukkah).  Every night we light them all together - along with a "family" one that we take turns lighting and an oil burning one that DH usually lights.  We also play an ongoing game of dreidel-each night we play for a little while and everyone has their own bag for their gelt....at the end of the holiday, the person with the most gelt (we use plastic 'coins') wins bragging rights until the next year.

teamwilson
by Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 2:15 AM
We bake cookies and listen to Xmas music and I give kids a new pair of cute pjs to wear Xmas eve. We always read the night before Xmas book. Then I wrap presents once they are sleep. I'd like to have a tree decorating party but haven't done so yet.
TroyboysMom
by on Nov. 11, 2013 at 4:35 AM

None of our traditions are really "cultural," they just...are. 

We have a Thanksgiving party every year for Ds and some of his friends. We make it a potluck, and the kids do crafts and have a mini Thanksgiving party.

We make a "Thanks" tree every year the week of Thanksgiving, and fill it with "leaves" of everything we are thankful for.

We spent the day after Thanksgiving decorating for Christmas.

Every year, we have breakfast with Santa

Every year, we have a Holiday movie party with a "concession stand," and holiday themed treats, with pjs, nutella hot chocolate, the whole shebang.

We make Reindeer food every year.

We have a North Pole party every year.

We go to Disneyland during the holidays every year.

We bake cookies on Christmas eve for Santa.

We take time to bake lots of different kinds of cookies, and take them to the fire stations to share.

We take money we've saved specifically for this throughout the year, and buy food to donate

We take Ds to choose his toys to donate.

We buy and fill out our holiday book for the year.

I wrap up different Christmas stories, and DS unwraps them - one every day until the week of Christmas, where we read the same stories out of one big book, up until Christmas eve.

We track Santa on Norad.

I don't know what else we do. This is the first time I've really sat down to think about what we do, and really write it all down.  

mcginnisc
by Bronze Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 5:56 AM

Hmmmm.....

In regards to Thanksgiving, we go to FL to see the Grands. We stay with my mother and my BIL's family stays down the street at my IL's. We all go to my IL's for Thanksgiving and then my mom and I go out for Black Friday. Yay!!! We leave next Friday the 22nd as soon as my girls get out of school at noon ( 1/2 day for them). 

Christmas- 

We start listening to Christmas music on the radiao as soon as we get home from FL after Thanksgiving. We cut down our tree as a family, come home and decorate the house and tree. As we are putting ornaments on the tree, we tell the story of that ornament as we only put certain ornaments on the tree. We have a tradition of going to Callaway Gardens every year and seeing the lights as well. We go spend the day out there and ride bikes, go to the different gardens and the butterfly house before going to see the lights. We started that tradition 6.5 years ago when our oldest dd came home from China. We go to my BILs house down the street for Christmas Eve dinner. The girls get their gifts from their Grands, as well as their Aunt/Uncle's family ( our girls get theirs from BIL's family and we give our niece hers) and the adults exchange gifts as well. We draw names so that makes life much easier. Once we get home, my girls open 1 gift ( always pjs) before heading to bed. Dh and I put everything out and head to bed. The girls get up in the am and we open gifts and stockings before heading back to my BIL's house for brunch. My MIL always makes sticky buns, cinnamon rolls, and quiche. It is the 1 time per year we can nag her into cooking for us. LOL 

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 

justbereal
by Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 6:00 AM
Before Christmas , we would drive around and look at lights. Santa would stop by the house while we were gone to let the kids know that he's watching & leave them a little present. My parents did this when I was little & we continued the tradition. My kids are now 17&14, my daughter still enjoys doing this even though she no longer believes. My son just wants the gift. Lol.
Jinxed8
by Gold Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 10:04 AM

I have some traditions for Christmas with DD - we always do a special day ; the first weekend of december that she's with us (she goes to her bio-dad 1 weekend out of 2)  we make a whole themed day that includes special holiday activities like shopping for new Christmas decorations, eating a the restaurant of her choice,  going to the movies, or watching a Christmas movie at home as a family, decorate the house etc etc and the day always ends with us going to the nursery to buy our Christmas tree, we come home, play Christmas music, I make hors d'oeuvres (finger foods) while we decorate the tree. DH picks her up on his shoulders so she can put the star on top of the tree.  And the last weekend before Christmas we make cookies.

MomofHDFandNWF
by on Nov. 11, 2013 at 10:50 AM

If you are talking Christmas - our Christmas starts the Saturday before... That is when we gather at my in-laws' house to do Christmas with my DH's parents, sister (and her family), and a few of his aunts/uncles.  We do Christmas dinner and presents just the immediate family and then the extended family comes over for dessert.

On Christmas Eve my family attends the Carols and Candles service at our church (my parents, grandmother, sister- and her family, and us)... Then it is back to my parents' house to do our Christmas - munchies and desserts, opening presents...

Christmas morning is spent at home with just DH, myself, and our DD and DS - I put together a Christmas Strata on Christmas Eve and then bake it off when we first get up in the AM as well as cooking off some homemade sticky buns I made up Christmas Eve.  We do our tree, stockings, etc...

Christmas dinner is spent with my mom's extended family - sometimes we luck out and it is at my mom and dad's house (across the road from outs) - this year it is up to my aunt's house that is about an hour away.  Then we are normally back home by 4 pm to have a restful evening, put away all our presents, and eat leftovers!

katiebug840204
by Silver Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 10:53 AM
When I was growing up we always went to my grandmas for Christmas Eve. I really miss that.

Now as an adult we go to my husbands grandparents every Christmas Eve. BUT this year that will change because we just moved to a new state. Since we are closer to my mom now, she will probably be coming here and spending Christmas Eve with us and then Christmas morning we always go eat out for breakfast.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN