Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

at what age?

Posted by on Nov. 11, 2013 at 10:17 AM
  • 24 Replies
1 mom liked this
Do you have the mommy daughter puberty birds/bees talk?
by on Nov. 11, 2013 at 10:17 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
toopicky429
by Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 10:21 AM
I think it's different for every child. I answer questions when they come up. My daughter is 8, and while we haven't had the sex talk yet, we have discussed puberty and body changes. My MIL started her period when she was 8, and my sister when she was 10. I'm hoping my daughter takes after me, but just in case she doesn't I didn't want it to be a huge scary surprise for her.
lkane81
by Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 10:29 AM
That's why I was wondering. I have heard of girls starting to develop early and I just dingy want hervto freak out. I think I will do the sex talk separate. At a later time.
She will .br 8 this year I started at 11 I hope its like that or later for her.

Quoting toopicky429:

I think it's different for every child. I answer questions when they come up. My daughter is 8, and while we haven't had the sex talk yet, we have discussed puberty and body changes. My MIL started her period when she was 8, and my sister when she was 10. I'm hoping my daughter takes after me, but just in case she doesn't I didn't want it to be a huge scary surprise for her.

kitcal78
by on Nov. 11, 2013 at 10:32 AM

Around 12.  I remember a few months after I had the talk I got my period.

Jinxed8
by Gold Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 10:36 AM

good question ... DD is almost 10 and I've already had the period talk with her.  But the whole birds and bees I don't know, I've talked to her a little ... but kids today are far more informed than we were so I don't think there's much need for it.  I'll make sure she's more informed about STDs and pregnancy and birth control and not letting a guy con her into giving it up under the bleachers type of deal.  As my Ex-husband's idiotic girlfriend already told DD her daughter was a condom-baby like 3 years ago, that f8king tool.  So I had to explain that out to her long ago ... SIGH

lkane81
by Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 10:52 AM
Sorry the gf did that. I sure wouldn't be happy about that. I'm more worried about the changes she will start to see. She just looks so big and is so tall. If she wasn't my kid i would think she is older.
Really sucks my baby is growing up.

Quoting Jinxed8:

good question ... DD is almost 10 and I've already had the period talk with her.  But the whole birds and bees I don't know, I've talked to her a little ... but kids today are far more informed than we were so I don't think there's much need for it.  I'll make sure she's more informed about STDs and pregnancy and birth control and not letting a guy con her into giving it up under the bleachers type of deal.  As my Ex-husband's idiotic girlfriend already told DD her daughter was a condom-baby like 3 years ago, that f8king tool.  So I had to explain that out to her long ago ... SIGH

Jinxed8
by Gold Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 11:01 AM

Time have changed and it's quite scary;  DD has started to "bud" as her Dr says ... so I've already gotten her some training bras, although she doesn't wear them much. She also already  has a few pubes.   I was shocked that she's already asked me if she could shave her legs and stuff as friends of hers do ... holy crap on a cracker ... she's 9 YEARS OLD !!!!  when did girls start shaving at 9 ?

Quoting lkane81:

Sorry the gf did that. I sure wouldn't be happy about that. I'm more worried about the changes she will start to see. She just looks so big and is so tall. If she wasn't my kid i would think she is older.

Quoting Jinxed8:

lkane81
by Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 11:17 AM
She told me this morning that she is getting more hair on her legs. And she has wanted to shave hem for awhile a while now but I won't let her. She isn't even 8 yet! She will 've in may :-(
She is getting more curvey in her hips too.
I think I have to talk to her soon if she is already noticing things. Shoot I didn't even start shaving my legs til I was 10.

Quoting Jinxed8:

Time have changed and it's quite scary;  DD has started to "bud" as her Dr says ... so I've already gotten her some training bras, although she doesn't wear them much. She also already  has a few pubes.   I was shocked that she's already asked me if she could shave her legs and stuff as friends of hers do ... holy crap on a cracker ... she's 9 YEARS OLD !!!!  when did girls start shaving at 9 ?

Quoting lkane81:

Quoting Jinxed8:

mjimaging
by Melissa on Nov. 11, 2013 at 11:28 AM
DD learned about that at about 8. We have a few doctors in the family so she's had talks with them regarding puberty.
Marz31
by Silver Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 11:36 AM

My daughter is 5 and has asked random questions about things since she was probably 2 or 3 and I've answered honestly, altho she was far too young to understand. no need to plant false seeds just because she's young. but I suspect around 7 or 8 we'll discuss it. I NEVER had the talk with my parents, they just let me learn it all in school (hahaha).  but I can remember health class in 5th grade, the whole split up and learn about your body thing. I got my period that year, right on my 11th birthday, good times!

poeticdaisy
by Silver Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 1:14 PM

Not about sex yet, but more about body changes, etc.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)