Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

Do i look like an idiot?

Posted by on Nov. 16, 2013 at 1:09 PM
  • 17 Replies
Do people ever treat you like youre stupid? Does it happen often? How do you handle it? Does it hurt your feelings?

Yesterday i volunteered with my kids' school. The other volunteer was kind of condescending to me and was disrespectful. We had to fill orders. The packages were lettered. This woman goes "yeah i usually make sure *parents* always double check". Uhmm... Pretty sure i know the alphabet and how to open a bag and put things into them. I can handle it. Funny thing is, towards the end, one of the orders was messed up, and it was her fault. I was the one who caught it and fixed it.

I just felt like since im not in the big teacher/volunteer clique, im not with it. They didnt let me be in charge of the inventory and mostly just had me waiting with the merchandise while they ran off to do "important" things.

I know i should hust let it roll off my back, but ive been stewing over it all day today. I HATE being treated like im dumb. I know i look young, but im 30 years old! Not to mention, i helped with the same fundraiser last year.
by on Nov. 16, 2013 at 1:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
esox
by Bronze Member on Nov. 16, 2013 at 1:31 PM

Those types of parents drive me insane. Most likely she was in charge of the fund raiser stuff because the teacher put her there. Just couldn't stand having the little Bossy Boots in the classroom for one more day and found a way to get her out!  

justbereal
by Member on Nov. 16, 2013 at 1:33 PM
Omg this so happened to me w the ' football moms ' acted like I couldn't tell diff size t-shirts apart. I was pissed & was the last time I went to help.
Osstie
by Member on Nov. 16, 2013 at 1:34 PM
Yeah there are two moms at the school who hog all the volunteer opportunity and i hate it!

Quoting esox:

Those types of parents drive me insane. Most likely she was in charge of the fund raiser stuff because the teacher put her there. Just couldn't stand having the little Bossy Boots in the classroom for one more day and found a way to get her out!  

mommy2girls0506
by on Nov. 16, 2013 at 1:36 PM
1 mom liked this

OMG this has happened to me before!!!!  You are not alone!!!!  I think it has more to deal with the fact like you said you aren't in the whole volunteer clique.  And let me tell you as a mom that wasn't in that clique either I think it's more of that.  They make you feel left out because you aren't one of them... Crazy how that happens at 30 years old still huh?

Osstie
by Member on Nov. 16, 2013 at 1:38 PM
It makes you not even want to take time out to help! Its sad, really.

Quoting justbereal:

Omg this so happened to me w the ' football moms ' acted like I couldn't tell diff size t-shirts apart. I was pissed & was the last time I went to help.
justbereal
by Member on Nov. 16, 2013 at 1:39 PM
Exactly. I was so dumbfounded.

Quoting Osstie:

It makes you not even want to take time out to help! Its sad, really.

Quoting justbereal:

Osstie
by Member on Nov. 16, 2013 at 6:16 PM
Oh yay this post is featured :)
Firewoman33
by Silver Member on Nov. 16, 2013 at 6:25 PM

In my experience people who are condescending like that are doing it because they aren't very intelligent. They had a hard time figuring it out and to hide their embarrasment act like an a$$ when showing someone else. 

Jesslynne_81
by on Nov. 16, 2013 at 8:57 PM
1 mom liked this

I hate people like that and there are a lot of them where I live. Honestly, instead of fixing her mistake, you should have set it down in front of her and said "you messed up this order, you should've double checked."

countrymomma81
by Platinum Member on Nov. 16, 2013 at 9:01 PM

See, what you described is how I've been treated all of my life. It's why I'm afraid to get a job. I'm not stupid but I'm not always quick to pick up on things. I'm also an over thinker. Something that seems so simple to others is difficult to me because I over think it and end up messing it up. 

I'm sorry that happened. I wish they realized that if they wouldn't treat people like that then maybe they would get more volunteers. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)