Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

What's your opinion?

Posted by on Nov. 17, 2013 at 7:52 PM
  • 44 Replies

Ok, so our exchange student Daniel plays soccer for the high school team. There are many Hispanic children on the team and during the game they often speak Spanish to one another. Actually even the ones that aren't Hispanic (they have Daniel, who is German, some Asian kids and one from Egypt whose family just moved here) but these kids either know Spanish or have learned a few words.

Yesterday we were at the jamboree when Daniels team (my hometown and the town we live in) was playing our neighboring town (DH's hometown and the town we do all of our sports in). We were sitting with some of the parents from the opposing team (our friends) when some people behind us starting noticing that a lot of Spanish was being spoken on the field by our team. She said that she didn't really find it fair because it put the other team at a disadvantage since they may not all be able to understand what the players are saying. 

What is y'all opinion on this? I'm not trying to start a debate of languages, or anything about illegals. This is strictly an opinion on foreign languages being spoken at events put on by English speaking schools. 

by on Nov. 17, 2013 at 7:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jtessen
by on Nov. 17, 2013 at 8:00 PM

english only. your right its unfair

countrymomma81
by Platinum Member on Nov. 17, 2013 at 8:03 PM

Quoting jtessen:

english only. your right its unfair

Ah, I didn't say I thought it was unfair, lol. I only stated what the people behind me thought. 

I actually don't know how I feel about this. I just wanted to get other opinions. I mean, if all the kids go to the school then they are all more than capable of speaking English. However, how is speaking Spanish, an actual language that people can learn, any different than football players using different names for their plays, or baseball players using those hand signals? Is there even a line to draw here?

countrymomma81
by Platinum Member on Nov. 18, 2013 at 8:47 AM

Bump. 

waytomanykids10
by on Nov. 18, 2013 at 9:18 AM

I personally think it is rude. I tell my kids if they can't say something out loud where everyone can hear then it shouldn't be whispeoed around other  people. The same applies here, if you can't say it where everyone can understand it then it shouldn't be said around other people.

LilliesValley
by on Nov. 18, 2013 at 9:23 AM
What's the difference between that and code or signals. Nothing. In fact since so many people know spanish its not even a good code.

And its not school. Its an after school extracurricular activity. In school they should speak English unless its for foreign language. But until this country makes English the official language even that isn't enforceable.
esox
by Bronze Member on Nov. 18, 2013 at 9:29 AM
Completely fair. That's like saying the other team lost because they couldn't 'cheat' by listening in on your team's plays. I agree that its no different than calling out code names for plays. If anything it could give the opposing team an advantage if they also knew how to speak Spanish.
esox
by Bronze Member on Nov. 18, 2013 at 9:30 AM
Everyone that needs to be able to understand it can.

Quoting waytomanykids10:

I personally think it is rude. I tell my kids if they can't say something out loud where everyone can hear then it shouldn't be whispeoed around other  people. The same applies here, if you can't say it where everyone can understand it then it shouldn't be said around other people.

JadeTigr7
by Bronze Member on Nov. 18, 2013 at 9:35 AM

I don't think it's unfair.  

anotherandree
by Inga on Nov. 18, 2013 at 9:39 AM
1 mom liked this

This is what I was thinking.  ON THE FIELD it is the same as saying, "Blue twenty two" in (American) football.  It is why they keep playbooks ultra secret.

OFF THE FIELD, incredibly rude.  That is when the common language should be spoken and I would normally agree with the debate of languages "When in Rome..."

Quoting LilliesValley:

What's the difference between that and code or signals. Nothing. In fact since so many people know spanish its not even a good code.

And its not school. Its an after school extracurricular activity. In school they should speak English unless its for foreign language. But until this country makes English the official language even that isn't enforceable.

TableforSeven
by Judy on Nov. 18, 2013 at 9:44 AM

I would think that would come in handy during a game.  I wouldn't have a problem with it.

In public, I think you should speak the native tongue as much as possible....especially if you are speaking publically.  But, being able to speak in a different language if you need to say something private to your child or spouse, is ok IMO as well.  In the states, I spoke in Hebrew to my kids when I wanted to say something without everyone and us understanding.....and here, I speak in English to my kids/DH to speak 'privately' with them.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)