Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

Taking kittens to vet- advice

Posted by on Nov. 18, 2013 at 3:27 PM
  • 17 Replies

I'm trying to take my kittens to the vet. I've put it off for too long!
They are coming up on 11 weeks. They weren't give any shots prior to us getting them.....so they need everything.

I just called a vet office and they said it would be $126 for each cat plus they will need to go back for the rabies & boosters. The $126 is for parasite testing, Leukemia testing and first round of shots. They said the Leukemia test alone is $48.

Is this normal?? I about killed over when they told me the price.

They said they offer a 1st year plan i can buy for $299 a cat. It covers all tests, all shots, all boosters, spay/nueter and up 4 office visits. You pay $25 a month until it's paid off.

by on Nov. 18, 2013 at 3:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MommaVoo
by on Nov. 18, 2013 at 3:30 PM
1 mom liked this

no that is crazy expensive.. check with pet stores in your area for clinics.. you can get vaccinations for like 10 bucks each sometimes. The pound or a shelter might also help with this as some areas have free shots and spay/neuter for cats and dogs to keep them off the street and stuff.

crazy4chapstick
by Member on Nov. 18, 2013 at 4:20 PM

i called another place and they said $58 for exam, $28 shots, $32 leukemia test, $35 feline aids test, $34 parasite test, $78 heartworm test........................................omg!

i had seen on the animal care services sites that i was like $10 for rabies and $25 for shots.......and $40 for spaying..................i have put in requests for appointments but it say it takes 2 weeks or more to get a call back!

LivinDeadGurl
by Maranda on Nov. 19, 2013 at 7:48 AM

I would keep checking around. I am sure you can find something cheaper. Around here they have mobile vet clinics that actually do cheap shots and free spay/neutering on certain days of the week. 

nurse1997
by Bronze Member on Nov. 19, 2013 at 8:48 PM

$299 sounds like a good deal for every thing but u dont need all those extra test .

crazy4chapstick
by Member on Nov. 20, 2013 at 1:26 PM

ended up getting the shots & parasite test for $50......not doing the leukemia test at this time.
my friend with cats also told me she wouldn't do the tests if she were me.
we just wanted to be extra careful because her last pet was sick when we got it and we didn't know so he only lasted a week.

i've put in applications for the free or low cost spay/neuter...so far i had one place call me back & said it was going to be $40 each. is that low cost? i have no clue how much they normally cost.

ambertreas76
by on Nov. 20, 2013 at 1:54 PM
1 mom liked this
Call animal control. They test and vaccinate for alot less. That is expensive!!!
MommaVoo
by on Nov. 20, 2013 at 2:11 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting crazy4chapstick:

ended up getting the shots & parasite test for $50......not doing the leukemia test at this time.
we just wanted to be extra careful because her last pet was sick when we got it and we didn't know so he only lasted a week.

i've put in applications for the free or low cost spay/neuter...so far i had one place call me back & said it was going to be $40 each. is that low cost? i have no clue how much they normally cost.

I would say 40 is low compared to the normal vet cost but I think you could find it cheaper

CafeMom Tickers
crazy4chapstick
by Member on Nov. 21, 2013 at 10:25 PM

asked my vet how much it was for spaying....female $109, male $86....plus $23 pain meds for each...and they suggest a $44 blood work up before hand....omg.

i'll stick with my $40 spaying at the animal defense league!

Quoting MommaVoo:

Quoting crazy4chapstick:

I would say 40 is low compared to the normal vet cost but I think you could find it cheaper

Roxygurl
by Member on Nov. 21, 2013 at 10:27 PM
Those prices are normal unfortunately. I recently signed up for banfield a pet policy and for 29.99 a month my kitten gets all of her shots plus any other tests and a spay.

If you've got a petsmart close to you they should have a banfield there, I'd check them out.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
crazy4chapstick
by Member on Nov. 21, 2013 at 10:33 PM

Thanks! I will look into it!

Do you test for the leukemia & feline aids? they were really pushing that test. we didn't do it today..but will when we go back for boosters. i've had people tell me not to do it. 

Quoting Roxygurl:

Those prices are normal unfortunately. I recently signed up for banfield a pet policy and for 29.99 a month my kitten gets all of her shots plus any other tests and a spay.

If you've got a petsmart close to you they should have a banfield there, I'd check them out.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)