Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

Need some advice :/

Posted by on Dec. 1, 2013 at 12:40 PM
  • 19 Replies

I need some major advice.  First off, I had no clue Cafemom existed until a few hours ago and I'm glad it does because I have not a clue what I'm doing. 

I'm 33 married and my husband and I have pretty much been childfree from the getgo until I just found out 4 days ago that I'm about 6 weeks along from a home pregnancy test.  Long story short, I called my ob/gyn and can't get in for about 3 weeks.  I am however on a list to get in asap. 

I'm terrified.  I have no clue what I'm doing.  I have no guidence because I have no family which means I have no family support (that's another story).   I also have never been to an Ob/gyn before so when I go in a couple weeks it will be my first time. 

I have a a few questions since my brain can't stop thinking and I'm a nervous reck.

1. ) My husband recomended prenatal vitamins until I get to the doctor.  What exactly are prenatal vitamins?  Do I need to be taking other things?  I've been reading that I need to take prental vitamins along with folic acid.  Is this true?  What else do I take?

2.)  I've read about lamaze(sp?)  Is this something i will need to get into eventually?

3.)  What happens if you decide not to get the flu shot while pregnant?  I''m completly against the flu shot but was told to think about getting one in the mean time? 

If anyone else can give me some advice that would be great.  I am so nervous - you have no idea.  I have no "support." and I also have never been around anyone who was pregnant so I have no clue what to expect :/ Any advice or help would be great. 

by on Dec. 1, 2013 at 12:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Pnukey
by on Dec. 1, 2013 at 12:53 PM

1. Prenatals are a good idea. They can't hurt you and already contain folic acid.

2. I never went to Lamaze (sp?) and it was fine.

3. I never got a flu shot while pregnant.

Advice: Read up on foods you should avoid, and avoid them. Read "What to Expect when you're Expecting" but don't watch the stupid movie of the same name.

Congrats and Good Luck.

I have 2 kids.

RunnerHorse
by on Dec. 1, 2013 at 12:54 PM
1 mom liked this

Thank you so much :) I greatly appreciate it :)

Quoting Pnukey:

1. Prenatals are a good idea. They can't hurt you and already contain folic acid.

Advice: Read up on foods you should avoid, and avoid them. Read "What to Expect when you're Expecting" but don't watch the stupid movie of the same name.

Congrats and Good Luck.

I have 2 kids.

sdgd21
by Diana on Dec. 1, 2013 at 1:29 PM
First off, breath. Women have been doing this for thousands of years, you will do just fine.
Question number one, Yes take prenatal vitamins are very important in the early part of pregnancy I even took additional Folic acid just to be on the safe side. I went to the health food store and I got in the raw vitamins they did great, I'm on my fifth child right now and my blood results always better than in with any other child. Usually I am very anemic but this one I am not.

Question number two, yes take Lamaze classes. But you have time for that. With my first I did not take any classes, I had a hard time relaxing. This may not be everyone's experience, but it was mine. I have never taken the class, but in its place I have done a lot of reading, and video watch. I also do my births all-natural.

Question number three.
My whole life I have never gotten a flu shot, pregnant or not. My children have never got a flu shot. Guess what we have never gotten the flu. In this time of the year I take more immune boosters. And I'm a big stickler on green smoothies made with Kale. They keep us very healthy. My kids are hardly ever sick.
KylesMom409
I have no idea how DH handles what's going on with his health. He's been diabetic for 21 years and now he has celiac disease. :(
Yesterday at 8:59 PM
by Linnette on Dec. 1, 2013 at 1:33 PM
Quoting Pnukey:

Congrats and Good Luck.

I have 2 kids.

This is good advice. And we're here for you, no matter what. Ask all the questions you need. :) This is a great group and we're glad you're here. Keep us posted on how you're doing! :)
sdgd21
by Diana on Dec. 1, 2013 at 1:38 PM
LOL, "don't watch the stupid movie"

Quoting KylesMom409:

Quoting Pnukey:

Congrats and Good Luck.

I have 2 kids.

This is good advice. And we're here for you, no matter what. Ask all the questions you need. :) This is a great group and we're glad you're here. Keep us posted on how you're doing! :)
sdgd21
by Diana on Dec. 1, 2013 at 1:39 PM
Oh I forgot to say congrats!
justbereal
by Member on Dec. 1, 2013 at 1:40 PM
1 mom liked this
Your going to be just fine ! The above advise is all wonderful. As said above ( breathe ) . Congrats !
RunnerHorse
by on Dec. 1, 2013 at 1:47 PM

Thank you doll :) Everyone in this group is so friendly :)  ((HUGS)) I think my biggest problem is that I'm overthinking things and thinking of the worst ppossible thing that could happen.  I need to remember that it will get easier as things go on :)

Quoting sdgd21:

First off, breath. Women have been doing this for thousands of years, you will do just fine.
Question number one, Yes take prenatal vitamins are very important in the early part of pregnancy I even took additional Folic acid just to be on the safe side. I went to the health food store and I got in the raw vitamins they did great, I'm on my fifth child right now and my blood results always better than in with any other child. Usually I am very anemic but this one I am not.

Question number two, yes take Lamaze classes. But you have time for that. With my first I did not take any classes, I had a hard time relaxing. This may not be everyone's experience, but it was mine. I have never taken the class, but in its place I have done a lot of reading, and video watch. I also do my births all-natural.

Question number three.
My whole life I have never gotten a flu shot, pregnant or not. My children have never got a flu shot. Guess what we have never gotten the flu. In this time of the year I take more immune boosters. And I'm a big stickler on green smoothies made with Kale. They keep us very healthy. My kids are hardly ever sick.

Dabberdoo
by Bronze Member on Dec. 1, 2013 at 1:47 PM

I would recommend "Your Pregancy Week By Week" over What To Expect . . . .  I hated that book.  I felt like it presented a "worst case scenario" type perspective of pregnancy.  

RunnerHorse
by on Dec. 1, 2013 at 1:48 PM

I can definitly tell thi is a good group :) Everyone is so warm and friendly :) It's definitly what i need right now :) Thank you!

Quoting KylesMom409:

Quoting Pnukey:

Congrats and Good Luck.

I have 2 kids.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)