Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Feeling guilty...over my poor laundry upkeep, dh pays by sometimes having no undies to wear...oops. I need some tips.

Posted by on Dec. 8, 2013 at 6:01 PM
  • 53 Replies

My husband is doing his own laundry right now because I suck at it. Not being sarcastic. I seem to have a hard time disciplining myself to take the time to just do it all at once and get it all done. Between the 5 of us , one being a baby, its a lot of work. Not hard, just time consuming. I keep going in and out of depression so I've been making time for myself to bring my moods up so I'm not grumpy with everyone. Been so busy lately and that's been a hard thing to do, especially with a one year old who still isn't sleeping through the night nor has predictable nap times. I end up throwing in a little of each persons clothes the night before they need them. Dh always has the basics but if he wants something particular (like today, he wanted the thick work socks instead if the thin ones because the temp. Outside dropped. All he had was the thin ones) then it's missing in action. In fact lots of things go missing it seems when it comes to laundry. I'm a mess when it comes to keeping on top of everyone's clothes and we have little creatures in our house that eat socks and even silverware and underwear. I don't know how or where things just disappear to in my house. It not only drives me nuts, it drives my husband nuts. He decided to do his own laundry tonight because he got tired of seeing one set of socks, undies and tshirt waiting for him in the morning. He sometimes needed a different type of socks or shirt but all he had was the few items I had time to wash at the last minute. He just got irritated a few minutes ago because when he went to do his laundry he couldn't even find all his socks even though he only throws them in the bathroom hamper. Some were in the playpen downstairs waiting to be folded. Some were in the laundry room where I had started to wash them but probably got pulled away from by baby or kids. It always happens. I make a laundry plan but then my plans get ruined because I get pulled this direction and that in my household. How do you keep the laundry task from being such a chore? Instead of getting mad, my dh just decided to do the laundry himself which you think I would be happy about but that little guilt monster is eating at me. I don't work outside the home so I see this as something I can do but I sure do suck at it. Lol. Anyone else have this problem? 

by on Dec. 8, 2013 at 6:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
OliviaW.
by Bronze Member on Dec. 8, 2013 at 6:06 PM

I'm a SAHM and dh doesn't freak out because of my laundry skills. Honestly I hate laundry. While I do wash it I hate folding and putting it away. I manage to attempt to do it at least once a week....sometimes. I'm not really much help but if you can get it washed would he help fold it? It's time consuming for me which is the reason it doesn't get done until it has to.

mjimaging
by Melissa on Dec. 8, 2013 at 6:47 PM
My oldest is 13. She does her own and sometimes her younger brothers laundry. DH mostly does the rest (ours). We do it once or twice a week and its done. But we have enough of everything to last that long. When the basket gets full, we just wash it. It was harder when we had to take it out of home to wash but now that its in the kitchen, it's simple to get done. It takes a few minutes to put in and change around. We don't do much folding. Except DS's laundry, it gets put away so we can find it when we need it.
AkashaGermaine
by Member on Dec. 8, 2013 at 7:42 PM
I don't mind the washing, it's the folding and putting it away that get me in trouble. Dh is constantly telling me that,"laundry isn't done until it's put away." I hate that. But I'm trying to do one load each evening so that I don't get overwhelmed.
I too have depression and understand the mood thing. When my anxiety is bad I get angry and short tempered. Some days I have more time outs than the kids, lol. If you've been having trouble for a long time you might want to see a doctor about something to help. Mine is clinical depression, I've been on meds most of my adult life and I'm better for it.
My two year old doesn't sleep through the night yet either. Sometimes he naps, sometimes he doesn't and it's hell trying to get him to sleep at night if he's had a late night. Last night he fell asleep in the car before he ate dinner, and he was up till 12:30. Tonight is gonna be bad too, he just fell asleep. Just remember that they're only this young once, and it will pass.
b0riqua-Mami
by on Dec. 8, 2013 at 7:46 PM

I am a SAHM and even thou hubby works he is the one who does the laundry not because i dnt know or have a hard time but because he rather just do it then all of us go because of the kids.. but i have to always check because one time he left a load and when i went to put the laundry away i noticed that some of his clothes was missing when i knew that it was in  the hamper. Lol

Lorena
by Member on Dec. 8, 2013 at 8:17 PM
I don't mind doing the laundry. However, with 9 of us I am always behind. I go threw all the laundry and pull out all socks and underware and wash them right away. Then I set a timer and when it goes off I check the laundry. It helps but not completely. In this house if I am gone for a day then I get so behind.
To help you along maybe you can try to treat yourself to something simple after so many loads. Say after 3 loads you can sit down and watch a show you like. Then after you get all of it done maybe you can take a night off of cooking and go out.
KylesMom409
by Linnette on Dec. 8, 2013 at 8:26 PM
I can't stand laundry but because of DH's crappy work hours, I'm doing it 99.9% of the time. I work full time outside the home as well so it gets so exhausting sometimes, constantly doing it. I consider laundry a necessary evil. LOL
almburr
by Member on Dec. 8, 2013 at 8:36 PM
Dh does his own. If I'm doing laundry and ready for the next load I will toss his in.
KRIZZ25
by Bronze Member on Dec. 8, 2013 at 8:40 PM
1 mom liked this
will it kill him to do his own laundry ?
christina259
by Bronze Member on Dec. 8, 2013 at 9:27 PM

Quoting almburr: Dh does his own. If I'm doing laundry and ready for the next load I will toss his in.

R u a sahm? Maybe I am taking on too much and need to delegate more . Feeling overwhelmed with  to much to do might be why things are starting to slip through the cracks. Just wondering what's the norm in most households. I do feel that since my dh's job is outside the home, that I can do the "inside the home stuff". When I took on that though I never realized how much time and energy would go into just taking care of the kids and baby. I 'm beginning to think dh might just need a "honey do " list after all. 

almburr
by Member on Dec. 8, 2013 at 9:30 PM
Not anymore. But even when I was a sahm he still did his own. With five kids plus two adults the pile grew out of control. He will do his work clothes I did/do the rest.

Quoting christina259:

Quoting almburr: Dh does his own. If I'm doing laundry and ready for the next load I will toss his in.

R u a sahm? Maybe I am taking on too much and need to delegate more . Feeling overwhelmed with  to much to do might be why things are starting to slip through the cracks. Just wondering what's the norm in most households. I do feel that since my dh's job is outside the home, that I can do the "inside the home stuff". When I took on that though I never realized how much time and energy would go into just taking care of the kids and baby. I 'm beginning to think dh might just need a "honey do " list after all. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)