Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

Need tips on weaning off the pacifier

Posted by on Dec. 26, 2013 at 7:03 PM
  • 13 Replies
I'm wanting to wean my almost 10 month old from pacifiers, but unsure if I should wait till after we wean her from her bottle. Suggestions?
by on Dec. 26, 2013 at 7:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CampClan
by Bronze Member on Dec. 26, 2013 at 7:34 PM

I can't really talk from the 10 month age because my 2 that took pacifiers were older. My older one was over 2 when she gave them up by giving them to the binky fairy. I doubt your child will understand.

My younger one was dealing with a double ear infection & double eye infection when he gave his up. I cut the tips of them off & he threw them in the trash. He was 16 months at that time.

KylesMom409
by Linnette on Dec. 26, 2013 at 7:37 PM
Here's a bump for you. My son was and still is a thumb sucker and he's 6 years old. Good luck to you!
MommyMattson
by on Dec. 26, 2013 at 7:56 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm thinking I should do the bottle first at 1, and then try to wean the pacifier
e-doolittle
by Kelly on Dec. 26, 2013 at 9:37 PM
I would do the bottle first. But you can start limiting when they are allowed to have it. Like only for sleeping, etc.
j3st3r
by on Dec. 26, 2013 at 9:38 PM
1 mom liked this

I literally just tossed the thing in the trash when dd was six month old. I hate pacifiers. 

12yrmama
by Bronze Member on Dec. 27, 2013 at 9:05 AM
1 mom liked this

I'd wait til after bottle. I think taking away two comforts within a few months will a little harsh... depending on her personality.

Maybe just start limiting how much passy time. We started putting it in a bowl on a high shelf after naps/sleeping. They could only have it for sleeping times and long car trips. Then we 'forgot' it on the car trips and for naps. We judged it on how much they cried for it... big cry = not ready go more slow; they forgot too and didn't cry = we were moving forward.

mjimaging
by Melissa on Dec. 27, 2013 at 9:47 AM
I've heard that at one they get really distracted. So much is going on, walking, getting in to things and such that if you take bottles and pacis away around then they don't really notice. You could start putting the contents of the bottle in sippy cups and get off the bottle relatively quick. Then cut the paci around one. My kids never did the paci so it's just what I've heard regarding that.
paknari
by on Dec. 27, 2013 at 9:48 AM
I always got rid of the pacifier first. I just stopped offering I and didn't buy more. They slowly dwindled away.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
irishrose13
by on Dec. 27, 2013 at 10:33 AM
Throw pacis in the garbage during nap time. It may sound cruel, but out of sight, out of mind. That's how I got my daughter off the bottle at 13 months. I'd throw them both out at the same timeand stock up on sippy cups.
gangof6
by on Dec. 27, 2013 at 11:32 AM
1 mom liked this

I cut the end of the pacifier off and told my son it broke but he was old enough to understand what broken meant. Be sure to clean toy boxes out because he would find lost pacifiers in the toy box and then i had to start all over again. LOL. good luck!! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)