Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

My baby has the flu ... Please help

Posted by on Dec. 29, 2013 at 11:27 AM
  • 16 Replies

My daughter is 6 and she has the flu. She has been complaining A LOT of stomach pain. I have always had a huge fear of appendicitis (Strange fear, I know), so I do not know what to do. She has acid reflux and compains from time to time but this has been a persistent complaint since she got sick. She vomitted once last night and had diarrhea a few times since getting sick. I want to take her back to the ER but I know people will think I am crazy. Have any of your children had the flu (NOT STOMACH FLU) and experience sever stomach pain with it?

by on Dec. 29, 2013 at 11:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
grneyedormom
by Kendra on Dec. 29, 2013 at 12:15 PM
4 moms liked this
Why not just call the triage nurse at your peds office and check in with them regarding your child's symptoms to determine if a trip to Urgent Care/ER is needed. If not, Tylenol and ibuprofen can assist with the pain. Follow the BRAT diet for nourishment and try to keep her hydrated.
e-doolittle
by Kelly on Dec. 29, 2013 at 12:51 PM

I agree with the prior post.  Try to call your peds office.  Does she have a fever?  is it painful when you push on her right side?

12yrmama
by Bronze Member on Dec. 29, 2013 at 2:14 PM

BRAT food and any liquid she wants. My dd will only drink McD's sweet tea when she's very sick. Totally worth it to keep her hydrated.

And call you ped's nurse to check if they will see her. Our doctor's office has a different doctor, everyday, available for drop-in sick kids.

TatyBear
by on Dec. 29, 2013 at 2:17 PM
Pedialyte pops.

Or make homemade Gatorade. ( no sugar) puts electrolyte back in the body. Look on pinterest I don't remember the recipe off hand. Water and salt and something else. Lol

Soup broths, soda crackers. Finer ale helps with vomiting and tummy settlement. Or just Ginger by itself.

toopicky429
by Member on Dec. 29, 2013 at 2:18 PM
This, and Flu is a respiratory virus. It does not effect the stomach or intestines at all. It sounds more like a gastrointestinal virus. I hope she feels better soon!

Quoting grneyedormom: Why not just call the triage nurse at your peds office and check in with them regarding your child's symptoms to determine if a trip to Urgent Care/ER is needed. If not, Tylenol and ibuprofen can assist with the pain. Follow the BRAT diet for nourishment and try to keep her hydrated.
Sophie1106
by Paula on Dec. 29, 2013 at 2:18 PM

My ds had the flu last week and he was complaining of a stomachache and threw up twice. So it could be just part of the flu. But like the others said, I would call the pediatrician office and see what they say. They should have an advice nurse or an on call doctor you can talk to.

saltlifemama
by on Dec. 29, 2013 at 3:12 PM

My ds had a terrible stomach virus on top of type a flu. He had terrible stomach pain. He ended up in the Er and almost in the ICU. I would definitely call your pedi and share your concerns. .

mumsy2three
by Shauna on Dec. 29, 2013 at 3:20 PM

I agree with the advice about diet and contacting the pediatrician. Hope she feels better soon.

My youngest, 8 y/o, had the flu last year (positive nasal swab). He had terrible upper respiratory symptoms as well as stomach issues. I am hoping none of us get it this year.

mumsy2three
by Shauna on Dec. 29, 2013 at 3:22 PM

I agree with the advice already given about diet and calling the pediatrician. Hope she's feeling better soon!

My youngest son, 8, had the flu last year (positive nasal swab) and he had severe upper respiratory symptoms as well as stomach issues. Hoping none of us get it this year.

KylesMom409
I have no idea how DH handles what's going on with his health. He's been diabetic for 21 years and now he has celiac disease. :(
Yesterday at 8:59 PM
by Linnette on Dec. 29, 2013 at 10:54 PM

Great advice!

Quoting grneyedormom: Why not just call the triage nurse at your peds office and check in with them regarding your child's symptoms to determine if a trip to Urgent Care/ER is needed. If not, Tylenol and ibuprofen can assist with the pain. Follow the BRAT diet for nourishment and try to keep her hydrated.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)