Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

adhd

Posted by on Jan. 5, 2014 at 4:38 AM
  • 16 Replies

Does anyone have a child that is adhd? if so waht age diagonised, and how do u help them focus and stay calm..  ONe of my twin boys that is 5 almost 6 has adhd..  just recently found out.. he is extremely hyper , doesnt focus well and hates changes..  we have try ritalin it made him agressive, tried adderal dont seem to do much maybe a little....  what pills work the best, anyways to help with out meds... also i have had a few people telling me i can file ssi for my son since he has adhd, anyone know

by on Jan. 5, 2014 at 4:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mumsy2three
by Shauna on Jan. 5, 2014 at 9:34 AM

My dd was diagnosed with ADHD when she was 6. We tried Adderall, Ritalin and Concerta~ had some adverse effects with meds and decided to stop them and use sensory techniques instead. I always suspected she has sensory processing disorder not ADHD. When she was 14 she was diagnosed with generalized anxiety disorder and ADD~ she no longer displayed the hyperactivity but still had some focusing issues.

Can't help you with ssi since I wouldn't take disability for any of my children unless their diagnosis went well above and beyond "normal" costs to raise them. Also never had our dd on an iep/504 plan. She has done very well~ graduated from high school in 2012. Worked full time for a year and decided to start college this past fall.

withsecond
by on Jan. 5, 2014 at 10:07 AM
My oldest son has it. He was diagnosed in the second grade. He stayed back because he wasn't mature enough to move ahead and wasn't able to get the work done.
He was over the top hyper, I mean literally climbing the walls.
He would play with something for literally one second and move on to 20 other things.
We started him on concerta around 3rd grade which helped so much.
We've had to change doses throughout the years though.
He's 16 now. Puberty was a bitch. He's now off meds because he doesn't like them. He's gotten somewhat better because he's learned ways to cope with acting out and not being able to sit still.
withsecond
by on Jan. 5, 2014 at 10:08 AM
As far as ssi for it, I honestly think that's a bit much.
I could see maybe when they're adults needing to file because it affects their job but not for a kid.
withsecond
by on Jan. 5, 2014 at 10:11 AM
Oh and my son had an IEP in school which helped him a lot. We kept him in class with special help but eventually he needed to be on the sped team. Now he's in a charter high school for kids with behavioral issues and other learning quirks.
ambertreas76
by on Jan. 5, 2014 at 10:19 AM

My son has it but we keep it in check naturally.  We eliminated all dyes from our food.  He rarely has sugar/refined carbohydrates and, if he does, it's very small amounts.  He actually processes sugars alot easier after we fasted from them for about 3 months or so.  He takes lots of vitamins also.

withsecond
by on Jan. 5, 2014 at 10:32 AM
I wish I had known about trying diet change first with my son. I has no idea. I just thought meds was the only way to go.
I would havr definitely tried this way, had I known.
Now he's a teenager and won't change his eating habits. We do eat organic and non processed but he still eats crap with friends.

Quoting ambertreas76:

My son has it but we keep it in check naturally.  We eliminated all dyes from our food.  He rarely has sugar/refined carbohydrates and, if he does, it's very small amounts.  He actually processes sugars alot easier after we fasted from them for about 3 months or so.  He takes lots of vitamins also.

ambertreas76
by on Jan. 5, 2014 at 10:43 AM
1 mom liked this

It's amazing what the dietary change/natural therapies can do.  Ohhh and high doses of vitamin C!!  I almost forgot that and that was a biggie!!!  We started with triple dose vit C for a while and then switched to double after seeing improvement.

Quoting withsecond: I wish I had known about trying diet change first with my son. I has no idea. I just thought meds was the only way to go.
I would havr definitely tried this way, had I known.
Now he's a teenager and won't change his eating habits. We do eat organic and non processed but he still eats crap with friends.

Quoting ambertreas76:

saltlifemama
by on Jan. 5, 2014 at 11:00 AM

They suspect that my oldest has ADD but we have not had him tested. He is in 3rd and still can not stay focused. His teacher works with him and helps him. I really do not want to put him on meds. As for SSI I have never heard of anyone getting for a child with ADHD.

momma437
by on Jan. 5, 2014 at 1:32 PM

well, my son never had much sugar like soda or junk food..  He does go to special classes throughout the day to help him...and ssi was brought up by a friend who has a teenager with adhd...didnt know if it was true or not.. thought that was weird

emarin77
by Bronze Member on Jan. 5, 2014 at 3:26 PM

SSI is for familys with low income.  Contact your local county Social Security office to apply.  Everyone is different with what meds work best for each child.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)