Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working on a new shawl

Posted by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 1:08 AM
  • 12 Replies
1 mom liked this

I finally started weaving a new shawl yesterday.  Maroon and tan.

So - what do you think?

by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 1:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cocoroo
by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 2:41 AM
That isbeautiful. I'm impressed.
TableforSeven
by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 4:10 AM

Thank you. :-)

It is a very involved pattern and has been slow-going....but I think it will all be worth it in the end.

Quoting cocoroo: That isbeautiful. I'm impressed.

lalasmama2007
by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 7:46 AM

Very nice!

kyledavidsmom
by Tara on Jan. 16, 2014 at 10:33 AM
1 mom liked this
Very nice
LuckymOmma_
by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 10:35 AM
1 mom liked this

Very nice

TableforSeven
by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 10:35 AM

Thank you.

It is driving me CRAZY though.  I have this whole calculation process that I learned and, usually, works well to determin how much yarn is needed.  It is easy for the warp (the thread that goes on the loom) because you know exactly how long you want your project to end up.  The weft (the thread you weave in back-and-forth) is a bit more difficult....but for most patterns you need less weft than warp.  Holy cow...NOT this one!  I bought 8 things of the maroon and that was exactly what I needed to put on the loom.  I bought 7 tan....I have already used ALL of them and only have a 34 inch piece of material -- I wanted AT LEAST 70 inches for a shawl!  Lol.

My son and I just got back from running down to the yarn store to buy the last 8 things of tan yarn they have -- so....whatever length they give me - I'm done!  :-)

Quoting lalasmama2007:

Very nice!

lalasmama2007
by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 9:53 PM

Wow!  That's a lot of yarn!

Quoting TableforSeven:

Thank you.

It is driving me CRAZY though.  I have this whole calculation process that I learned and, usually, works well to determin how much yarn is needed.  It is easy for the warp (the thread that goes on the loom) because you know exactly how long you want your project to end up.  The weft (the thread you weave in back-and-forth) is a bit more difficult....but for most patterns you need less weft than warp.  Holy cow...NOT this one!  I bought 8 things of the maroon and that was exactly what I needed to put on the loom.  I bought 7 tan....I have already used ALL of them and only have a 34 inch piece of material -- I wanted AT LEAST 70 inches for a shawl!  Lol.

My son and I just got back from running down to the yarn store to buy the last 8 things of tan yarn they have -- so....whatever length they give me - I'm done!  :-)

Quoting lalasmama2007:

Very nice!

KylesMom409
by Linnette on Jan. 16, 2014 at 10:03 PM
1 mom liked this
Very nice! I am impressed as always. :)
Kitty_Myrick
by Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 10:11 PM

I thought about taking up lace making once.  When I saw how complicated it is a chickened out.

cat

TableforSeven
by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 11:11 PM

They aren't the big things of yarn though (thank goodness).  They are each only 196yds long.

Quoting lalasmama2007:

Wow!  That's a lot of yarn!

Quoting TableforSeven:

Thank you.

Quoting lalasmama2007:

Very nice!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)