Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Birthday woes

Posted by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 4:34 PM
  • 23 Replies

Today is my DD's official 10th birthday - she had her birthday party last weekend where I welcomed 12 of her friends in the private reception room of a restaurant for lunch I also had hired a DJ because DD wanted a "dance party"  she had it all ; her friends from 12pm to 4pm, and family showed up 3pm to 4pm for cake and presents. Today, I packed her a special lunch, including a cup cake with festive frosting and everything.   For dinner tonight, she asked me for a specific dinner and I"m making it, for dessert she's been bugging me for Chocolate pudding so I made some on my lunch hour and I am serving it in fancy dishes with whipped cream and sprinkles on top.   But when she came home she was dissapointed that the house was not decorated with balloons and streamers for her birthday and that there's no cake in the fridge.

I figured that she got her big celebration last Saturday

am I wrong ? or is she expecting too much ??

by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 4:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jinxed8
by Platinum Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 4:37 PM

my husband says she's too spoiled in this particular case, I think I have to agree

countrymomma81
by Ruby Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 4:39 PM
1 mom liked this

I think she's over reacting unless this is something that you always do on the day of her birthday. Then it became expected and if you weren't doing it you might have prepared her. 

Peechi81
by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 4:42 PM
I'd say it's a little too much she is expecting unless it's something you always do. My boys barely get a party because their birthday is close to the holidays.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DACIA79
by Bronze Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 4:44 PM
I don't think either of you are wrong

I think considering that she had a party that she shouldn't expect streamers and stuff today.

But a little cake on her actual birthday kind of makes sense.

She is 10 she is entering that phase where she doesn't really know what she wants. Good luck with the next 8 years.

Firewoman33
by Gold Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 4:44 PM

I'd say she's expecting too much. 

Jinxed8
by Platinum Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 4:47 PM

yesterday she asked me for home made chocolate pudding and I've made it (although I'm sure she has not seen the dishes in the fridge) she had a cupcake at lunch time , a cake last Saturday ... I'm making her the dinner she wanted ...

the next eight years are gonna suck monkey balls - I'm especially not looking forward to 13 to 16 !!!!

Quoting DACIA79: I don't think either of you are wrong

I think considering that she had a party that she shouldn't expect streamers and stuff today.

She is 10 she is entering that phase where she doesn't really know what she wants. Good luck with the next 8 years.

KylesMom409
by Linnette on Jan. 16, 2014 at 8:50 PM
Quoting DACIA79: I don't think either of you are wrong

This.
MixedCooke
by on Jan. 17, 2014 at 3:25 AM

my daughter ended up having 3 parties one year--cupcakes at school with favor bags, a family birthday and then a birthday party with her friends at the house.  I still bake a cake for her on her actual birthday though she is more into icecream cake lately.

Briesmom38
by Gold Member on Jan. 17, 2014 at 7:53 AM
1 mom liked this

My dd turns 13 this year, lucky me lol

Welcome to my world of whatever you do is never enough,lol

I think she's expecting a little too much especially since she got a pretty nice party last weekend.  Plus you cooked all of the things she asked for.  If she wanted a cake she should have mentioned to you.

Happy Birthday to your dd!

** It's 5 O'clock Somewhere **

cupcake_mom
by Member on Jan. 17, 2014 at 8:07 AM
Imo yes she is asking too much. My 7&3 don't even expect that. They know they get a party on the weekend between their bdays(they are 4 years and 15 days apart and share the party per my oldests request lol) but they know they get a special dinner with us, my parents, and my bro and sil (mil comes when she can) on their birthday. They get pancakes for breakfast with a candle and happy birthday song, special lunch, and whatever they ask for dinner and dessert, and that's it. I think that's good for on their actual bday.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)