Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

Sexual Situations on Tv?

Posted by on Jan. 23, 2014 at 7:33 PM
  • 18 Replies

At what age did you allow your child (daughter) to watch sexual situations on tv. Like cable tv channels?

by on Jan. 23, 2014 at 7:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KelliansMom
by Member on Jan. 23, 2014 at 7:34 PM
2 moms liked this
My mom always had the rule that if I could talk to her like an adult about whatever we are watching I could watch it. I plan on having this same rule with my son.
KikiKia
by Member on Jan. 24, 2014 at 9:19 AM
1 mom liked this

My Mom was very open with me growing up concerning sex and things.  I think being exposed to it through shows and having responsible parents explain the reality of it, makes kids better informed. My Mom did not sugar coat anything.   I don't remember at what age but she did let us watch some racy (not explicit) stuff approx around 12 or 13.   I remember my Mom allowing us to watch rated R movies with her there watching them alongside us. My Dad on the other hand told us if we see people kissing on TV we should turn our heads the other way. so obviously my Dad was strict.

pistolpink
by on Jan. 24, 2014 at 9:24 AM
I let my dd 15 watch rated R movies. I don't sugar coat anything I'm very honest.
Yet...at my exes house he and his new wife don't let her or her kids watch Disney princess movies because SM doesn't want them to get false hope about love or romance. But they aren't allowed to watch anything rated over PG either. Doesn't make sense to me.
esox
by Bronze Member on Jan. 24, 2014 at 9:24 AM
I'm not sure how old we were when we were finally allowed to just watch it. My dad always told us to close our eyes while he fast forwarded through those parts. I don't think there were as many kissing and sex scenes on regular cable when I was a kid.
I think it depends on the maturity level of the kid and the conversations between parents and kids before they are exposed to those things in TV.
12yrmama
by Bronze Member on Jan. 24, 2014 at 10:37 AM

We don't have cable... but our 14 yr old has watched some shows that elude to sex having happened or wanting it. Generally we know when he watches it, because we like to watch TV together. Not too big of a deal cause we always have open conversations.

We have started letting him watch movies with some sex (no full nudity and no long involved stuff). Its just for movies we have already seen and where the plot is about MORE than sex.

countrymomma81
by Platinum Member on Jan. 24, 2014 at 10:42 AM

She's 6 so that hasn't started happening yet. Our son is 11 and we aren't comfortable with it yet even at his age. 

charleyangel317
by on Jan. 24, 2014 at 11:00 AM

Same in our house

Quoting KelliansMom: My mom always had the rule that if I could talk to her like an adult about whatever we are watching I could watch it. I plan on having this same rule with my son.

rissat79
by Member on Jan. 24, 2014 at 11:04 AM
My parents were not comfortable talking about sex or allowing us to watch sexually explicit shows. My daughter is 8 and slowly getting to the dbject. I plan on being open as possible. Breaking the cycle with my children.
virgochild79
by Nia on Jan. 24, 2014 at 11:59 AM

My kids are 11, 7 & 5 months and I haven't let them watch that yet. They are just fine with Disney Channel. 

LuckymOmma_
by on Jan. 24, 2014 at 12:46 PM

My children are 7 1/2 & 9,they prefer the Disney Channel :-),we do have cable but I do not allow them to watch shows like that

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)