Ok so I am having an ungoing argument with my DH (who is DD's stepfather) who thinks that I wait on DD too much and am too on top of things with her. DD is 10 years old. He keeps comparing to when we were little, I say times have changed. And I don't know what to do here. Who's right ? who's wrong or is it a bit of both.
- I still make her lunches
- I sit down with her for homework everynight (she sucks at time management and is dyslexic)
- I still make her snacks and fetch her drinks if asked (she also does it herself, but for me if my child asks me for a glass of milk my reflex is to do it not to tell her to get it herself)
- I drive her to friend's house for playdates (i do not arrange them)
- I still tuck her in at night (she is very insistent on that)
- I make her bed only when I wash her bedding (she makes-up her bed daily)
- she totally lacks organization of any kind so I do manage her time for homework and chores
- I don't spend a lot of time with her as I work full time and then
- I do her laundry (clean dry & fold) she puts her laundry away
- she cleans her own room
- she will do other chores around the house if asked.
My husband calls me 2 steps away from being a helicopter parent and finds that I do too much with her and for her. I am a mom and I take my role seriously, I don't get moms that had kids just to have them fend for themselves all the time or put them to work like they owe you room and board. To me you get to be a kid once and the rest of your life to live through the daily BS. I do not want my kid up my skirts all the time. But am I supposed to tell her all of a sudden "OK I'm not tucking you in anymore, you're old enough" to me screams "I can't be bothered anymore"