Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

Child Spanking

Posted by on Jan. 27, 2014 at 4:03 PM
  • 33 Replies
1 mom liked this

Poll

Question: Do/did you spank your child/children?

Options:

yes

no

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 74

View Results

So it seems these days that parents are less apt to spank their children due to all the rules or whatever. My sister and I were spanked as children and we turned out just fine. Seems like kids these days are less respectful and dont listen as well...i wonder if this is because they are not being disiplined. Just curious on everyones thoughts. 

by on Jan. 27, 2014 at 4:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KikiKia
by Member on Jan. 27, 2014 at 4:16 PM
1 mom liked this

Every kid is different.  My son (who is now almost 9) would straighten up if I just threatened him with a pop.  My daughter (4) on the other hand does not believe you UNTIL you pop her.

Spanking is a last resort.  After talking sternly, then a warning followed by a time out does not work.

My sister and I were spanked and we were goody two-shoes growing up.  My parents did not beat the crap out of us either.  I think kids who are spanked too much exhibit alot of bad behavior too.

AkashaGermaine
by Member on Jan. 27, 2014 at 7:07 PM
I spank as a last resort. It doesn't really work for my dd, she's borderline ODD and it just makes her worse. My ds is only two.
KylesMom409
by Linnette on Jan. 27, 2014 at 8:12 PM
As an absolute last resort.
storkradio193
by on Jan. 27, 2014 at 8:26 PM
1 mom liked this

We don't...

There are so many different directions this discussion can take.  Is spanking morally ethical?  Each parent or society has to decide.  It is illegal in some countries and not in others.  You used to be able to spank your wife or any form of "property."  Are children full humans with full rights or lesser humans like property?  It is a moral and philosophical question.

There are also different personalities in children and some react differently to different forms of punishment.  Has anyone read "The Highly Sensitive Child"?  Such children, as one example, could absorb and interpret reality in different ways than other children.  In other words, spanking could have more damaging effects on children depending on the child.  I was spanked and I would say that I am fine, but I also aware of the damaging effects that spanking caused.  I do not want to pass down those damaging effects to my child (spanking can be worsened as it often comes out of anger and potentially rage and not simply a form of calm punishment).

As a broader response, it seems to me that every generation, as it ages, looks back on younger generations as if they are worse or lesser or flawed in some way.  Gen X was a big deal, an immoral generation, and all of us around 40 and normal.  I also think about the "greatest generation."  I think in order to be called the "greatest generation" you have to create the next "greatest generation."  The "greatest generation" is not the greatest if it failed to birth the next greatest.

Those are my ramblings for the evening.

cty1023
by Member on Jan. 27, 2014 at 10:24 PM
my son is now 10 so big boy but when he was young I wouod spank.i had two sister and my mom would wip our butts but my dad was a big softy lol.i see nothing wron. With it as long as your spanking on the butt !!!
Mrs.Bolin
by Bronze Member on Jan. 27, 2014 at 11:05 PM
2 moms liked this

Sometimes kids need a good ol butt woopin!

TableforSeven
by Judy on Jan. 27, 2014 at 11:19 PM

Yes, we use spanking as we feel is appropriate - not often, but on rare occasions.

diaperstodating
by Angel on Jan. 27, 2014 at 11:24 PM
Yes I spank.
JaeMommy07
by Member on Jan. 27, 2014 at 11:30 PM

haven't yet but not opposed to it.

SouthernBiscuit
by Member on Jan. 28, 2014 at 12:09 AM
My dd got a spanking today for pushing her brother down on purpose.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)