Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Have you ever...

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 10:30 AM
  • 23 Replies
1 mom liked this

Given money to a person on the side of the street holding a sign asking for help (I know there is a name for this but don't remeber..haha)? If so, how much money did you give them and how often do you do this?

I have a girlfriend who ALWAYS gives at least 20 dollars. 

What are your thoughts on this matter?

by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 10:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mantidae
by Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 10:35 AM

If I can help, I do.  I usually give food if I have it.  If it's cash, it's only a dollar or two.  I know a lot of people have negetive reactions to panhadlers or similar individuals, but I don't think it's my place to judge.  If someone asks for help and I am in a position to give it I will.

e-doolittle
by Kelly on Feb. 5, 2014 at 10:38 AM

Not usually on the side of the road.  But when working in the city I used to give small amounts to homeless people.

gangof6
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 10:40 AM
1 mom liked this

PANHANDLERS!!!! That was driving me crazy!!! Thank you. I was thinking bootleggers. LOL.

Your nice. I changed my way of thinking after my girlfriend and I had that conversation. I was more the type to hand them a generic job application and suggest they start a new life for themselves. I love opening my mind to new ideas and glad i changed my way of thinking. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!!!

Quoting Mantidae:

If I can help, I do.  I usually give food if I have it.  If it's cash, it's only a dollar or two.  I know a lot of people have negetive reactions to panhadlers or similar individuals, but I don't think it's my place to judge.  If someone asks for help and I am in a position to give it I will.

Raeann11
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 10:42 AM

No, if they say they need money for food. We have gotten them a sandwhich or a fast food that is close by. I had a friend that always brought her cousin with her and she use to talk about how she would dress up like a bum. Go to the churches and places for free food and stand on the corners asking for money. Since then I just wonder if someone is doing that.

gangof6
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 10:46 AM

I wonder the same thing. You never know how they will spend that money...Thanks for sharing!

Quoting Raeann11:

No, if they say they need money for food. We have gotten them a sandwhich or a fast food that is close by. I had a friend that always brought her cousin with her and she use to talk about how she would dress up like a bum. Go to the churches and places for free food and stand on the corners asking for money. Since then I just wonder if someone is doing that.

LivinDeadGurl
by Maranda on Feb. 5, 2014 at 11:07 AM
1 mom liked this

Yes. There is an old man who stands near the service road up by the Walmart near me. I don't know how many times I have given him enough to buy a hot meal and watched him walk to the nearby McDonalds or Taco Bell to get some food. 

Pukalani79
by Ivy on Feb. 5, 2014 at 11:17 AM

If I give anything, it's usually food

mamaninny
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 12:29 PM
yes I do. 9 times out of 10 I will give a person 2 or 3 dollars. There has even been times that I have kept five dollar Walmart gift cards to give to homeless people outside of Walmart.
virgochild79
by on Feb. 6, 2014 at 10:44 AM

I do sometimes if I have a dollar or some change in my cupholder. I don't go digging in my wallet though. You know they say those panhandlers make hundreds of dollars a day by doing that and go home to their nice houses? I rather give to a homeless person who you can clearly tell is down on their luck.

Jinxed8
by Platinum Member on Feb. 6, 2014 at 10:54 AM

I've given.  I'm very weary of beggars though.  They will all say food yet some will buy booze or drugs.  You know one day a punk was begging on the street yet he had his recently dyed mohawk and $150 doc Martins on his feet ... right!   There is such a thing as pan handling for money and actually making a living out of it.  For the rest of the people I don't understand how you get there or why you want to say in that position when there is such a thing as welfare, shelters, food banks etc. 

My worst one was one day a lady came up to my window telling me her husband beat her and she was trying to get to a shelter and could I spare some change so she could take the bus, I gave her two bucks she had the balls to ask me if I could spare $5, I told her bus fare was less than $2. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)