Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

Neutral Gender children. Yay or Nay?

Posted by on Mar. 7, 2014 at 10:51 PM
  • 50 Replies

Poll

Question: Would you allow your child to dress anyway they pleased?

Options:

Sure y not

No way

Sure they can dress up but this is too far

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 88

View Results

by on Mar. 7, 2014 at 10:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Looneyfarmmom
by on Mar. 7, 2014 at 11:03 PM
7 moms liked this

My son use to wear a dress and personally I don't care. He is a football playing boy who is also a young writer. We use to have people come to me with their "concerns". I told them to go whine to someone who gave a flying flip. All I know is my son is way more honest, respectful, good natured, gentle little boy than anyone has ever seen. I have mother's coming to me for advice.

So far today I have read that if you let girls play with Monster High dolls we are okaying prostitution and I should belittle women for their choices in life. Sorry I don't have the time or the right to do that. I will leave it up to someone that has way more control over that and I won't even pretend to know what he is thinking. I don't work that way.

Now I must demonize my child according to the same people who think that way.

Personally I am sick of society and their rules and I say screw them. Follow the herd or it is my fault if they lash against me. Personally I was never afraid to go it my way. They just get a little angry when I ignore them and keep doing things my way. Clothes are just clothes.

What does that say about women who teach their boys that girls who dress that way are prostitutes and they deserve what they get? That says they just told their boys it is okay to rape women and treat them like crap. I say that is way worse. We are the examples our children go to and if we keep telling them it is okay to beat up little boys who are different or rape girls because they don't fit their mold then I don't think they are much a human being but a monster. They make me sick and pity them for their ignorance.

My son may grow out of his phase but an ignorant person will live their whole life blind to their actions blaming everyone else.

MixedCooke
by Silver Member on Mar. 8, 2014 at 1:44 AM

eh, I guess it depends on the situation

ambcortez
by Bronze Member on Mar. 8, 2014 at 1:55 AM

I'm not going to push the gender toys, but I really don't know how I feel about the kids wearing opposite gender clothes... it has yet to happen. DS plays with dolls sometimes, DD loves "boyish" tv shows... I dunno.

PinkButterfly66
by on Mar. 8, 2014 at 2:01 AM
1 mom liked this

When I was little, I used to dress my brothers up in my dresses when we played house.  They were cool with it.   I had my own live dolls to play with.  If I had a boy, I wouldn't care if he wanted to play dress up as a princess.  At that age it's very common. 

ardiaxe
by Member on Mar. 8, 2014 at 3:02 AM
4 moms liked this
I'm not going to set my son up to get teased. In a cruel free world I would let him wear pink bows in his hair and a flowery dress with fairy wings and all, but not in this world that we live in where gender is defined by our appearance. I would let him do it in the comfort if his home, but to take him to a party to get teased and humiliated by others, no f***ing way.
KylesMom409
by Linnette on Mar. 8, 2014 at 7:43 AM
Quoting ardiaxe: I'm not going to set my son up to get teased. In a cruel free world I would let him wear pink bows in his hair and a flowery dress with fairy wings and all, but not in this world that we live in where gender is defined by our appearance. I would let him do it in the comfort if his home, but to take him to a party to get teased and humiliated by others, no f***ing way.

I have to agree.
e-doolittle
by Kelly on Mar. 8, 2014 at 10:21 AM
1 mom liked this
Playing dress up is fine. This seems too far
TableforSeven
by Judy on Mar. 8, 2014 at 11:49 AM
5 moms liked this

We do not allow our children to dress in clothing intended for the opposite gender.

diaperstodating
by Angel on Mar. 8, 2014 at 11:55 AM
1 mom liked this
My boys dress themselves in the boy clothes in their closets and dressers.
ambertreas76
by on Mar. 8, 2014 at 11:58 AM
6 moms liked this

No freakin way!!!  We are the parents and we are the ones who are to help our children distinguish gender.  It is normal for a child to be curious but I think it is psychologically harmful to allow this kinda thing.  Maybe in some weird, hermaphrodite society this would be okay but here on Planet Earth it is just confusing to a developing mind.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN