Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

Ct Scan with contrast question

Posted by on Mar. 8, 2014 at 8:26 PM
  • 33 Replies
I have been told that in going to have a killer headache afterwards. Did this happen to anyone or do you know of this happening to anyone? The only reason I'm concerned is I have no one to drive and it's an hour away.
by on Mar. 8, 2014 at 8:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LeilaBeansMom
by Member on Mar. 8, 2014 at 8:27 PM
I had mine in my foot and had no headache afterwards. Maybe it's depending on what and where they're scanning
t1gger143
by Member on Mar. 8, 2014 at 8:29 PM
My head. I've had one without contrast and I was fine. It took a whole minute.

Quoting LeilaBeansMom: I had mine in my foot and had no headache afterwards. Maybe it's depending on what and where they're scanning
LeilaBeansMom
by Member on Mar. 8, 2014 at 8:32 PM
Yeah, I don't know then. I know the contrast reacts with the machine, to get the good clear picture. So maybe because it's scanning your head that's why you'll get a headache? Hopefully someone else on here will know more! Good luck!!

Quoting t1gger143: My head. I've had one without contrast and I was fine. It took a whole minute.

Quoting LeilaBeansMom: I had mine in my foot and had no headache afterwards. Maybe it's depending on what and where they're scanning
lalasmama2007
by Ticia on Mar. 8, 2014 at 9:02 PM

I don't know, but here's a bump!  Good luck!

JenD_77
by Member on Mar. 8, 2014 at 9:04 PM

I havent ever had a CT personally but I think if you can just take a small break afterwards and maybe bring something to help counteract any headache or whatever comes might be your best bet

you can probably also call ahead and talk to someone there who may be able to give you more answers

SouthernMamaof1
by Member on Mar. 8, 2014 at 9:08 PM
I'm not positive, but I think you are supposed to drink a lot of water afterwards to minimize effects and flush it out of your system. My DS has had 3 MRIs with contrast, but I know that CT's use a different type of contrast. DS spiked a high fever for 24 hours for no reason after the last one. It had to be the contrast.
clowry02
by Member on Mar. 8, 2014 at 10:24 PM
I have had it done several times no headache and I have migraines often
t1gger143
by Member on Mar. 8, 2014 at 11:06 PM
Makes me feel better. I get at least 3 migraines a month that last for days at a time.

Quoting clowry02: I have had it done several times no headache and I have migraines often
clowry02
by Member on Mar. 8, 2014 at 11:09 PM
I do to I never got a headache from it and always could drive home. Hope you test goes well and you get answerss

Quoting t1gger143: Makes me feel better. I get at least 3 migraines a month that last for days at a time.

Quoting clowry02: I have had it done several times no headache and I have migraines often
DejaVooDoo
by Member on Mar. 8, 2014 at 11:10 PM

I've had a CT and MRI of my head with contrast. I had no headache afterwards. Everyone is different. They may get you to sign a disclaimer form beforehand though. Some people do react to it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)