Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

Will we never sleep again?!?!?

Posted by on Mar. 16, 2014 at 1:37 PM
  • 15 Replies

We were so blessed when out daughter was born... she was the perfect baby! Hardly cried, slept all night, slept in her own room and went to sleep on her own too!!!

NOW at 4 1/2 she is KILLING me. Every night she wakes up 2-3 hours after she FINALLY falls asleep to get in our bed. If we dont let her she stays awake and throws a total fit for the rest of the night keeping everyone else awake with her. :(  

This morning my hubby let her sleep with us till she fell back asleep, but as soon as he laid her in her bed....awake and crying. We all got to get some sleep about 8 this morning. THANK GOD its the weekend.

What can I do to help her sleep?? Help US sleep???

Do they make sleep aides for children???

O-o

by on Mar. 16, 2014 at 1:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
e-doolittle
by Kelly on Mar. 16, 2014 at 2:29 PM
1 mom liked this

Fears can increase at that age.  Is she scared? 

Many children respond well to melatonin. 

nurse1997
by on Mar. 16, 2014 at 2:40 PM
2 moms liked this

Keep the kid out of your bed and get the kid back on track babies are smart!

APM090807
by on Mar. 16, 2014 at 2:51 PM
Oh we have tried and tried..... I KNOW she knows what shes doing she is incredibly smart for her age. However after days and days of hardly any sleep it is so hard. We put her in yer room and try to ignore her fake cries...because that's exactly what they are.... but she will finally despise we aren't coming and switch to a different approach. *sigh*

She SAYS shes scared, but she doesn't act like it. I honestly believe its just something she says to get us in there....
I was horribly scared of the dark and there was no way I would have put even a toe on the floor...lol
She gets up and comes to our room when we wont cone to hers. She gets up and turns her fan off...
I have made sure she has night lights etc...
I am just at a loss ... I don't know what to do!!
as for children responding well to melatonin, would I need to go trough her doc to get a dosage?
APM090807
by on Mar. 16, 2014 at 3:01 PM
I have been researching melatonin online.... as usual its one extreme or the other. There are sites that say NEVER give children melatonin, but these also refer to it as a drug, which its not.
Others, like BabyCenter, have tons of moms posting how much they use as directed by their pediatric Dr.
mjimaging
by Melissa on Mar. 16, 2014 at 5:44 PM
My SIL is a doctor and uses melatonin on her kids. That being said, I wouldn't use it. My son slept with us until he night weaned at 3 years old. When we bed weaned, we put a blanket and a pillow on the floor next to our bed. Told him if he didn't want to sleep in his bed he could sleep on the floor. It took about a week before he decide his bed was better. We keep him on a bed time routine and he gets two stories an two songs before bed. He has a mobile that doesn't have the arm part anymore. Now it projects on the ceiling and plays music. He still comes in sometimes but he's not allowed to sleep with us anymore. DH takes him back to bed and he goes back to sleep.
pricemp2012
by Member on Mar. 16, 2014 at 6:04 PM

I know it is hard but you need to also keep in mind that if you let this continue she will wind up sleeping your bed until she is 13 and you don't want that, also what I did with my oldest son is everytime he would cry I would peep in reassure him until he went to sleep that away he knew I wasn't far but i never left at the same time, maybe that will work, the one thing you not ever want to do with children is let them get there way all the time, it could be a big headache down the road.

clairewait
by Bronze Member on Mar. 16, 2014 at 8:44 PM
1 mom liked this

This book: Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child has answers for everything.

Practical. Easy to follow. Pretty much proven to work (personally helped me and many others). Easy to find your situation and find an idea that he provides.

LuckymOmma_
by on Mar. 16, 2014 at 10:23 PM
1 mom liked this

Get her back to her bed asap,my DD went through a stage like this and it wasn't fun,she'd sleep in her bed and then like clockwork she would be up at 9 and refuse to go back to her bed,she'd stay up from 9-12,it made for some very tired nights,boy was i thankful when she went back to her bed

Jennybenny01
by Member on Mar. 17, 2014 at 2:05 AM
1 mom liked this

My DS went through this same thing when he was 4. I ended up getting him a dream light, a different bed and I let the dog sleep in his room now. I stay in his room after I read him a story for about 5-10 minutes and then I leave. He is now sleeping in his bed all night. It's really hard but hang in there and be consistent.

KylesMom409
by Linnette on Mar. 17, 2014 at 8:28 AM
1 mom liked this
Quoting clairewait:

This book: Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child has answers for everything.

Practical. Easy to follow. Pretty much proven to work (personally helped me and many others). Easy to find your situation and find an idea that he provides.

Thanks for sharing! :)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)