Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

Advice/support please--my almost 10 yr old son still wets his bed almost every night...

Posted by on Mar. 17, 2014 at 9:42 AM
  • 17 Replies

I feel so bad for my son.  He will be 10 in May and he still has to wear underjams to bed every night, and about half the time they don't even hold it all and he gets his bed and pjs all wet. His dr. did an ultrasound last fall just to make sure there was no anatomical problem causing him to be incontinent at night and it was fine. We limit his liquids after 7pm.  He pees every night before bed.  I have tried the whole waking him up during the night routine--he still gets wet, either before I wake him, or afterward between that time and morning.  I feel so bad for him that he still has to deal with this.  What else can I do???  What has worked for you???

by on Mar. 17, 2014 at 9:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mjimaging
by Melissa on Mar. 17, 2014 at 9:55 AM
1 mom liked this
When in had this problem, even as an adult, I had to cut drinks all together after a certain time. I made sure to go potty before bed. Sounds like he does these things already though. It's hard. I know for me I'd dream that I was going on a toilet and that was when I'd go in my sleep. Thankfully I don't have this problem anymore but it is not fun. Support him, accidents happen, he must be sleeping so heavy that he doesn't get cues from his body. Good luck. I don't have any real advice on it as you are doing what I would have suggested. Poor guy.
nurse1997
by Bronze Member on Mar. 17, 2014 at 10:43 AM
1 mom liked this

When u sleep your kidneys still produce liquids although limiting liquids do help it's not the  answer.Good luk hopefully he grows out of this soon. Make sure he is going number 2 that is linked to wetting the bed. Boys wet the bed more than girls do.

quietmomma
by Member on Mar. 17, 2014 at 1:04 PM

BUMP!

LuckymOmma_
by on Mar. 17, 2014 at 2:03 PM
1 mom liked this

Bump

MamaMia379
by New Member on Mar. 17, 2014 at 3:11 PM
1 mom liked this
Well first question I have is, has he been a victim of any abuse but particularly sexual? Bed wetting past a certain age is an indicator that abuse may have happened. Or, is this a situation where he is a deep sleeper and just isn't being woken up by his body when he has to go? If it is the deep sleeper, there is something that is called the pants alarm. Basically, as soon as it detects any wetness the alarm goes off and they can wake up and go. It trains the mind and body together. Do an Internet search for it and see if it may be worth a try. If its from abuse, this method doesn't typically work and I would suggest some counseling. Hope this helps!
Jinxed8
by Gold Member on Mar. 17, 2014 at 4:08 PM
1 mom liked this

I would say unless his bedtime is 10pm I would cut all liquids much earlier ; like his last drink should be with supper.  Then make him pee before bed and once again during the night - if the urine overflows and goes through everything, he has too much urine in his system.  I know my DD is 10 and her last full glass of liquids is no later than 7pm - she pees before bed time and every. single. night. without fail she's up around 11pm going to pee.  And peeing is the first thing she does in the morning.

e-doolittle
by Kelly on Mar. 17, 2014 at 4:11 PM

bump

mumsy2three
by Shauna on Mar. 17, 2014 at 7:28 PM
1 mom liked this

Not sure if this will help or not but here's a link to an article about bedwetting (Nocturnal Enuresis). The treatment suggestions sound like the things you've been doing but I thought I'd post anyway maybe it will give info that you don't already have. Good luck!

gummibr
by on Mar. 17, 2014 at 7:33 PM
1 mom liked this

I was just discussing this with my son's pediatrician last week,  My son is 8 and still wets nightly.  She said some kids just wet the bed late and it has nothing to do with abuse.  I hate when people say that.  She did suggest the alarm and said it has a very high success rate after 6 months.  Also, constipation can cause bedwetting so you might want to make sure he is regular.  There is medication that can be taken as well.

quietmomma
by Member on Mar. 17, 2014 at 10:22 PM
Quoting MamaMia379: Well first question I have is, has he been a victim of any abuse but particularly sexual? Bed wetting past a certain age is an indicator that abuse may have happened. Or, is this a situation where he is a deep sleeper and just isn't being woken up by his body when he has to go? If it is the deep sleeper, there is something that is called the pants alarm. Basically, as soon as it detects any wetness the alarm goes off and they can wake up and go. It trains the mind and body together. Do an Internet search for it and see if it may be worth a try. If its from abuse, this method doesn't typically work and I would suggest some counseling. Hope this helps!

Thank you for your reply, it is very helpful!  No, he is not a victim of any kind of abuse.  I think it is more the deep sleeper.  I have thought about the alarm type of thing. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)