tater tot casserole

Now that spring is here, most of us are trying to eat a little healthier in anticipation of bathing suit season -- but a good dose of comfort food as a treat never hurt anyone, right?

And if you're looking for something to make you feel all sorts of warm and fuzzy, this Tater Tot Casserole recipe from AllRecipes is sure to do the trick.

Is there anything better than tater tots, really? One of my favorite meals as a kid (ok, who are we kidding, I still love it) was tater tots and grilled cheese sandwiches -- and this casserole kind of combines those into one.

It's hot. It's gooey. And it reminds me of my carefree childhood days when I didn't have to worry about whether or not my jeans were going to zip up the next morning.

But who cares if you have to wear stretchy pants for a couple days after a heaping helping of this stuff? It's more than worth it. Besides, everyone deserves to indulge a little every now and then.

Tater Tot Casserole

1 pound ground beef

1 onion, chopped

Salt and pepper to taste

1/2 (32-ounce) package tater tots

1 (10.75-ounce) can condensed cream of mushroom soup

1/2 cup milk

1 1/2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In a large skillet over medium-high heat, brown the ground beef with the onions. Drain excess fat, and season with salt and pepper to taste.

Spread the beef mixture evenly over the bottom of a 2-quart casserole dish. Arrange tater tots evenly over beef layer. In a small bowl, stir the soup into the milk until smooth; pour over tater tot and beef layers. Sprinkle Cheddar cheese evenly over the top.

Bake in preheated oven for 30 to 40 minutes, until cheese is bubbly and slightly brown.

What is your favorite food from childhood?

Image via punctuated/Flickr