• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

i need your help/advice please

Posted by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 4:20 PM
  • 6 Replies

ok i really need some advice on how to handle this situation im in. it really isnt pregnancy related. my fiances mother is going through a very rough situation right now and is super depressed and talking about killing herself. she started giving things away and talking crazy. her son, my fiance and her are extremely close and if she does happen to die soon im afraid he will soon after or at least do something crazy and end up in jail. i dont know how to help either one of them at this point. I lost my father to suicide alomst 4 years ago a week after my mother died. so kind of same thing just under different surcomestances. does anyone have any advice on what to do?

by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 4:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
clairewait
by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 9:29 PM

Quoting stephaniekincer:

her son, my fiance and her are extremely close and if she does happen to die soon im afraid he will soon after or at least do something crazy and end up in jail. 

No advice on the situation, except to say are you sure you are ready to marry into this family??

(This would be a red flag deal breaker type situation for my life-long mate, but that's just me.)

cottonsandy
by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 10:20 PM
If you know she is suicidal you need to get her help asap. Call the national suicide hotlineĀ 1-800-273-8255National Suicide Prevention Lifeline.
I have family who suffer from mental illness and sometimes you as a family member can't think you can save someone. It will hurt us in the end or you may risk losing your relationship with her. She may shut you out. I really recommend you calling.... suicide is no joke unfortunately you know this.... I'm really sorry about your situation, but in order to help prevent this, get her professional help. Best wishes try to stay strong.

diaperstodating
by Queen25Princes on Apr. 4, 2014 at 12:05 AM

Quoting cottonsandy: If you know she is suicidal you need to get her help asap. Call the national suicide hotlineĀ 1-800-273-8255National Suicide Prevention Lifeline.
I have family who suffer from mental illness and sometimes you as a family member can't think you can save someone. It will hurt us in the end or you may risk losing your relationship with her. She may shut you out. I really recommend you calling.... suicide is no joke unfortunately you know this.... I'm really sorry about your situation, but in order to help prevent this, get her professional help. Best wishes try to stay strong.

stephaniekincer
by on Apr. 4, 2014 at 1:18 PM

thank you for the advice. his family may be a little crazy but it is no differant than mine used to be. my brother took his own life 16 years ago then i lost my grandmother 4 months later to cancer, my grandfather died 4 years after that than almost 4 years ago my mother died from a brain anyrisum then 1 week later my father took his own life, so it has just been me and my oldest daughter for the past 4 years. except that my fiance and his family have really been there for me and her ever since. so i feel obligated to do the same for them.

iamcafemom83
by Bronze Member on Apr. 4, 2014 at 1:59 PM
1 mom liked this
Can you have her baker acted?
KikiKia
by Member on Apr. 4, 2014 at 3:15 PM

I am so so sorry....about your family and your fiance's too.

Talking to her or having her see a licensed mental health professional needs to happen.  This does not sound like something that should be taken lightly.

PPs gave some really solid advice especially contacting the suicide hotline.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)