Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

Cell phones/ tablets

Posted by on Apr. 4, 2014 at 12:54 AM
  • 14 Replies

Was just wondering how people on here feel about getting a cell phone for your kiddo. My kids are 8 and 10 and I have been thinking of getting them a cheapish cell phone they can take with them when they go out to play so I can get ahold of them quicker and just in case they need to get ahold of me for an emergency of some kind. My oldest boy has a seizure condition and you just never know when one might happen or what could trigger one. I would also make sure they know it is only to be used to get ahold of us or for emergencies, no calling friends just to say hi or whatever (until they can pay their own bill that is). As for a tablet my kids have a Nabi 2 and they are not allowed to take outside of the house to play with because of the risk of it getting lost/stolen.

typing

by on Apr. 4, 2014 at 12:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
DACIA79
by Member on Apr. 4, 2014 at 1:49 AM
I think it depends on the kid more than the age.

If you have any old cell phones you can get them flashed over to cricket and get unlimited calling local and long distance for 25 dollars a month it just can't be a smart phone not for that price.
mjimaging
by Melissa on Apr. 4, 2014 at 8:36 AM
My daughter (14) would love a phone. I can't bring myself to get her one. She does had an iPod and anytime she is around wifi, she can text me since I have an iPhone. All the schools here have wifi so she logs in to their network when she can. She goes a lot of places (to the park with her much younger brother, church groups, youth groups, after school activities). But we dot worry too much about her. Sometimes she has to ride the city bus home if she is at school too late for the school bus. If she needed to she could also Skype me with wifi.

My son is four. He definitely won't have a phone any time soon but he also has an iPod. Their grandparents get them these things. He plays games and watches movies. We don't have wifi at home so his movies are downloaded to his device.

We have a family iPad but DH and DS mostly play with that. I am thinking about an iPad mini for work related things. But it would be just mine.

I don't have a problem with kids an electronics, I just can't bring myself to get them phones.
JadeTigr7
by Bronze Member on Apr. 4, 2014 at 8:45 AM
Nope. My kids can have one when they can buy it themselves.
Briesmom38
by Gold Member on Apr. 4, 2014 at 8:57 AM

My dd has a cell phone, she's had it since the summer before she entered 6th grade.  We don't have a landline so she needed one since she's home after school by herself for a little while.  It's just a basic phone, it does have a keyboard so she can text.  She's allowed to text and call her friends, since I have unlimited talk & text.  Even though it's a basic phone she still has access to the internet, but I had that disabled thru the phone company.  She has an Ipod so she's fine with that.

I love that she has a phone so I can contact her when she's at her friend's house, she's really good about keeping in touch, and now that she had the seizure episode, it's really important that she has a phone.

** It's 5 O'clock Somewhere **

natural_s
by Silver Member on Apr. 4, 2014 at 9:23 AM

Usually I would not even think about giving kids that young a cell phone, even if they appear to be mature but with your child's condition it may be a good idea so he can have a way to get to help.

Firewoman33
by Silver Member on Apr. 4, 2014 at 12:13 PM

With your son's condition I think getting one for him and his brother is a good idea. 

mewebb82
by Member on Apr. 4, 2014 at 12:22 PM

I think it depends on a lot of factors and isn't always a question of age, but situational. My oldest son has had a cell phone since he was 10. His father and I share custody and it was necessary. I don't think I will get my younger 2 children a cell so young. As far as tablets, all my children have 1. They have time limitations though and I have to approve of what they are doing on it.

LuckymOmma_
by on Apr. 4, 2014 at 12:37 PM

Around here kids in Kindergarten have their own cell phones,anywho that being said,my Children don't have cell phones,they would like one though,I would say in your case yes he should have one,You can get him one of those prepaid cell phones they are like $14 or less,I have seen ones for $10,my son has a Kindle Fire and my daughter has a Tablet,I do not allow them to take them out of the House either

cindilou13
by Member on Apr. 4, 2014 at 3:01 PM

Mine are 6 & 9 and each have had iPod touch for 2 years.  They can take them when they go to grandparents' houses or if we are all going somewhere and I know they might need something to do lol.  Otherwise they just just use them at home, they do not go to school or friends' houses.  We also have a family iPad and DH & I have iPhones.  So it is nice to be able to text for fun and then also the grandparent's have wireless so they can text us from there, DD especially loves to send funny pics. 

I don't plan to get them their own phone/plan until they are in at least junior high and then only if they are in sports or something and stay after school, that way they can call to confirm they are done, etc. They will be subject to strict limitations and me having access to them at any point.    I just don't really think they need one simply because they aren't every somewhere without communication or without a parent or family member.  They aren't home alone any yet & they don't play on their own outside of the backyard (they don't have any friends nearby and nothing to do really....). 

With your older son's medical condition, I would probably get him one though if he's outside on his own.  Better safe than sorry, and you can get a cheap prepaid one.

mumsy2three
by Shauna on Apr. 4, 2014 at 4:45 PM

My dd, now 20 and on her own, was in 7th grade when she got her first cell phone because she was in sports/activities in school and we wanted her to be able to get ahold of us in there were schedule changes and stuff like that.

Our oldest son, just got a cell phone for his 12 birthday. He is currently in 6th but will start middle school this fall. He too will be in sports/activities after school in middle school and we feel it's important for him to be able to contact us without borrowing a phone from a friend.

Our 9 y/o doesn't have a cell phone and won't until he gets to middle school.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)