Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

What age do you stop having big birthday parties?

Posted by on Apr. 4, 2014 at 7:39 PM
  • 14 Replies
DH and I have 6 kids. We like to host big bday parties for the kids, but I hadn't really thought much about what age that should stop because for us it was chance to get everyone together. We did the last one for my son at 13, but heard a bit of grumbling from my SIL saying 10 was the age you should having bday parties. I don't want people to think we're rude, what do you think?
by on Apr. 4, 2014 at 7:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mjimaging
by Melissa on Apr. 4, 2014 at 8:17 PM
1 mom liked this
If you can afford it do it however you like. We have never thrown big parties. We keep it much more modest. It fits us and our kids seem to appreciate what they do get.
mcginnisc
by Bronze Member on Apr. 4, 2014 at 8:23 PM

Who cares what other people think? If your child likes it, that is what matters. 

We don't have parties at all and haven't for years. Our girls love it as they get to pick the activity and we go as a family. 

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 

mckinneymom918
by Member on Apr. 4, 2014 at 8:29 PM
We do BIGger parties for 1, 5, 10, 13... We do family only on the other years. But that's 20+ already. We feed everyone (usually tacos or something cheap to feed a lot of people), there are no decorations, and I make the dessert of their choice. The big years we invite the rest of our church family, school friends, etc. we feed everyone and I make the dessert of choice but also cupcakes or a cake. Usually decorations, party favor for the kids, maybe games.
cottonsandy
by on Apr. 4, 2014 at 9:05 PM
I have four kids and I give it as an incentive to them. If they do well I'm school that year we will have a party. We're upfront with the kids and tell them it would be big or small gathering depending on our money that year. But the cut off is 12, then we agreed on doing a quinceranera 15 or sweet 16 and 18 or graduation they pick. We have a extended family and we always combine birthdays to save money.
clairewait
by Bronze Member on Apr. 4, 2014 at 9:24 PM

Quoting mcginnisc:

Who cares what other people think? If your child likes it, that is what matters. 

We don't have parties at all and haven't for years. Our girls love it as they get to pick the activity and we go as a family. 

This is pretty much exactly what I was thinking. And then when I read the rest, it is wholly us.

We've never done birthday parties with anyone outside of family (maybe extended family if they are in town) and  possibly a family friend (usually an adult friend, not friends of my children's).

I knew I was going to have a lot of kids and I knew I didn't want to set a precedent that would one day be a burden (financially or otherwise). I feel like so many moms are constantly trying to "outdo" last year's party... ugh. I don't need that hassle.

But if b-day parties are your thing, just do them. Do them however often you want. As long as you want. 

Weirdly, graduations are my mom's thing. She has flown our entire family around the country to be present for a sibling (or spouse of a sibling) graduation from almost everything... college, grad school, law school... she's just proud of her kids educational accomplishments and goes all out for them. SO you know. To each their own.

ETA: okay it is also slightly freaking me out that we have the same first name. Haha.

Katt709
by Bronze Member on Apr. 4, 2014 at 9:28 PM
Well so far I've done a big party every year for each kid. Our oldest turns 5 this year. He'll ha e a big party. I'll probably do big ones until they ask for something else.
raczac
by Member on Apr. 4, 2014 at 9:32 PM
I have two boys. We will continue to do parties for as lo ing I they want and then they can invite a friend to go do something fun with them. They are 7 &8 right now.
ki19
by Member on Apr. 4, 2014 at 11:36 PM
1 mom liked this
We did big parties every year til 10, then 13, 16 & they pick graduation or 18.
mumsy2three
by Shauna on Apr. 5, 2014 at 5:36 AM

This is what I was going to say.

We rarely do birthday parties for our kids. They are fine with it as they usually get a larger/pricier gift and we've always let the birthday person pick where we go out for dinner on their birthday.

Quoting mcginnisc:

12yrmama
by Bronze Member on Apr. 5, 2014 at 8:36 AM

Whatever they are into that year. Our dd turned 5 last week and at first she wanted all her friends to come, then she decided it would be more fun to just have a couple of friends (who happen to be siblings, so we just invited that family).

Mostly we do special daytrips as a family; sometimes with one kid friend invited along.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN