Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

Afraid toddler isn't getting proper nutrition

Posted by on Apr. 7, 2014 at 10:04 AM
  • 19 Replies
My 19 month old son absolutely refuses any/all vegetables. This is stressful for me, because my family and I all eat healthy and I worry he might not be getting all the nutrients he needs even with the multivitamins I give him. On the plus side he loves fruit but I know that too much sugar is bad for him as well so I can't rely on him getting all the nutrition he needs from meat & fruit. His pediatrician said it's very normal and that I shouldn't be too worried but I can't help but be so when he is completely avoiding an entire food group! What would you suggest?
by on Apr. 7, 2014 at 10:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LaughCryLive
by on Apr. 7, 2014 at 10:19 AM

don't make it a battle and keep offering. make him smoothies and muffins with vegetables.

Jinxed8
by Gold Member on Apr. 7, 2014 at 10:19 AM

did you try sweeter vegetables like corn, sweet peas, sweet potatoes ?

Jinxed8
by Gold Member on Apr. 7, 2014 at 10:22 AM

also try carrots, and some squashes that are sweeter tasting

Bajanmama
by Member on Apr. 7, 2014 at 10:29 AM

Smoothies. Or blend vegetables and mix it in his food.

WundrWmn
by Member on Apr. 7, 2014 at 3:41 PM

Yes, its almost comical, he throws them at me, lol  

Quoting Jinxed8:

WundrWmn
by Member on Apr. 7, 2014 at 3:45 PM

I have a ninja! Do you think its too much sugar to mix the veggies and fruits together to make it sweet enuogh that he'll drink it?

Quoting Bajanmama:

Smoothies. Or blend vegetables and mix it in his food.

cassiehmomof3
by New Member on Apr. 7, 2014 at 3:46 PM
All you can do is keep offering.
Jinxed8
by Gold Member on Apr. 7, 2014 at 3:49 PM

try it in different forms ... raw, cooked, pureed, juiced, julienned, grated etc.  

• It's very easy to hide a LOT of vegetables in pasta sauce, You'd be shocked !
  • Same for home made cream of vegetable soup  
  • celeri root, squash & turnip can easily be pureed and mixed in with mashed potatoes
  • Spaguetti squash could possibly fool your soon into believing it's angel hair pasta !?
  • Also if you make your own pasta, you can add some vegetable puree in the dough, it'll give the pasta some fun colors as well as all the nutrients. 
  • DD absolutely HATES zucchinis and cooked carrots but when I grate them and put them in stuffed peppers, meat sauce, meat loaf, meat balls, she gobbles it right up HA !  
Quoting WundrWmn:

Quoting Jinxed8:

WundrWmn
by Member on Apr. 7, 2014 at 3:55 PM

Great suggestions, thank you!

Quoting Jinxed8:

try it in different forms ... raw, cooked, pureed, juiced, julienned, grated etc.  

• celeri root, squash & turnip can easily be pureed and mixed in with mashed potatoes
  • Spaguetti squash could possibly fool your soon into believing it's angel hair pasta !?
  • Also if you make your own pasta, you can add some vegetable puree in the dough, it'll give the pasta some fun colors as well as all the nutrients. 
  • DD absolutely HATES zucchinis and cooked carrots but when I grate them and put them in stuffed peppers, meat sauce, meat loaf, meat balls, she gobbles it right up HA !  
Quoting WundrWmn:

Quoting Jinxed8:

Jinxed8
by Gold Member on Apr. 7, 2014 at 4:06 PM
1 mom liked this

When DD was little I also used to make her pasta with white sauce, and instead of using broth you use "vegetable cooking water" so the water has vegetable nutrients in there, you can also make your own vegetable broth.  

Quoting WundrWmn:

Great suggestions, thank you!

Quoting Jinxed8:

Quoting WundrWmn:

Quoting Jinxed8:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)