Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

what is the age difference between your kids? How did you decide on when to start trying?

Posted by on Apr. 9, 2014 at 1:12 PM
  • 53 Replies

I am 32 and my husband is 34.  We have a 6.5 month old girl and definitely want a second one.  However, he wants 2 years difference between ages and I want 4.  I know it's not in my control, but the question is when do we start trying and of course everything will be dependent on our financial situation.  What is the age difference between your kids and how did you decide? 

Some background info:  I am a twin to my brother and have an older sister (7years), my hubby has a sister 2 years.  My SIL has two kids (boy 5 and girl 7).  My sister has two kids (boy 13 and girl 18).  So some variety in sibling age difference...  

by on Apr. 9, 2014 at 1:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
gabyangy
by Member on Apr. 9, 2014 at 1:14 PM
1 mom liked this

My two youngest are 11 months apart.  My oldest and middle child are 6 years aprt.

zadesmom1998
by Windy-Dawn on Apr. 9, 2014 at 1:15 PM
My boys are 6 years apart. But not for lack of trying. We had two miscarriages between the two.
JadeTigr7
by Bronze Member on Apr. 9, 2014 at 1:22 PM

There is 16 months between #1 and #2.  There is 24 months between #2 and #3.  There is 23 months between #3 and #4 and 3 1/2 years between #4 and #5.

I prefer two years between children.  It's easier on me to not have to be completely out of the infant stage before starting it over again.  My first two were harder to begin with, because my first still needed me a lot but it was easier as they got older.  I prefer closer rather than farther though. 

mamacalifornia
by Bronze Member on Apr. 9, 2014 at 1:29 PM

Mine are 2yrs and less then 1 month apart...they are the perfect age apart! When they are driving age we will only have to pay for one car at a time & insurance for one kid at a time!

SuperPickle
by Silver Member on Apr. 9, 2014 at 1:42 PM

my 1st and 2nd are 25 months apart. My 2nd and 3rd are 29 months apart. We wanted them somewhat close and we are extremely happy with the age difference. 

countrymomma81
by Platinum Member on Apr. 9, 2014 at 1:55 PM

Neither of our children were planned, they were both surprises. They are 7 and 11. 

Sophie1106
by Paula on Apr. 9, 2014 at 1:57 PM

My 2 kids are 3 1/2 years apart. I really like that age difference. When I had my ds, my dd was able to be a little independent. She was old enough to understand and was able to "help"  with the baby. It was nice just having one in diapers too. And now that they're older they play together all the time and get along great. Maybe you and your dh can compromise and try for a 3 year age difference?

mcginnisc
by Bronze Member on Apr. 9, 2014 at 2:01 PM

I didn't get a choice. LOL 

Our dd came home from China at the age of 17 months 7 years ago. It was 8 months after she came home that we found out that I was pregnant. We had not ttc in about 5 years. ( it took us 7 years and Clomid to get pregnant with our dd Kahlan- she was stillborn at 36 weeks and it was 4 years later that we brought Lilly home)

We had been married for 8 years when Kahlan was stillborn, 12 years when Lilly came home and almost 13 years when Karli came along. They are 2 years 9 months apart in age. ( Lilly is now 8 and Karli will be 6 in August)

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 

Ikaufman1230
by on Apr. 9, 2014 at 2:02 PM

that is what I am thinking will happen. If we want two years, we will have to start trying in 3 months!  I am still a little stressed from my experiences with pregnency, birth and how hard breastfeeding was.. I am not ready in 3 months.. we decided to start talking in 3 months..  I was wondering if its easier or harder to have closer in age or farther in age..

Quoting Sophie1106:

My 2 kids are 3 1/2 years apart. I really like that age difference. When I had my ds, my dd was able to be a little independent. She was old enough to understand and was able to "help"  with the baby. It was nice just having one in diapers too. And now that they're older they play together all the time and get along great. Maybe you and your dh can compromise and try for a 3 year age difference?

toopicky429
by Member on Apr. 9, 2014 at 2:03 PM
My kids are about 18 months apart. We wanted them close in age so planned it that way. However we have been trying for our third child since our youngest was 2.5, he turned 7 last week, and we are still waiting for #3.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN